XL2 20x lens warning

Chris Ballard

Hope someone can help me. Just bought XL2 w/20x lens. When lens attached or unattached, when camera powered up, in viewfinder it says "check the lens" and "lens" flashes in red when main menu comes up in viewfinder. Tried other lens and same problem. Always clicks when attaching lens and have no problem with lens release. Thanks for your response.

Hope someone can help me. Just bought XL2 w/20x lens. When lens attached or unattached, when camera powered up, in viewfinder it says "check the lens" and "lens" flashes in red when main menu comes up in viewfinder. Tried other lens and same problem. Always clicks when attaching lens and have no problem with lens release. Thanks for your response.

Might seem like a dumb question, but are you powering down your camera before you mount the lens'?

Did you buy this camera and lens package new? If you bought them together used, the seller should have known there was a problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi sr, responding to the message you left, i have the same problem in my canon Xl2 the !"check the lens" message, and im wondering if you have the answer now how to fix that problem , ive been looking and nothing ill really appreciate any info you could give to me! thanks Chris

• 7 months later...

Hello, I have never had this problem but have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera & the lense? The best thing for cleaning them is the rubber eraser on the end of a pencil. It cleans without removing metal or scratching any connection.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Albert.

• 3 weeks later...