FCP isn't exporting in the correct aspect ratio

A little too broad a question, but you need to "tell" FCP that you want it 16x9, especially when not exporting at the "current" settings. Usually it is within the user input settings under "Export Quicktime" or "Export Quicktime Conversion," also different name depending on the version you are running.

File>Export>FCP Movie(pre version 4.5)/Quicktime Movie/ Quicktime Conversion/ Using Compressor> Settings

With as little info as you posted, you will have to find it there somewhere.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Never had that problem before. I would try the other settings within Medium Broadband like exporting 16x9 without letterbox and seeing what that does. A lot of it is trial and error, seeing what works for you. It shouldn't be like that maybe, but:

Computers are very often as temperamental as people, I have found much to my chagrin.

I'm using 6.02. When I export-> quicktime conversion-> using the default settings I get the correct aspect ratio.

When I choose to export->quicktime conversion-> broadband medium (choosing to preserve aspect ratio with letterbox) it exports it incorrectly.

Most of those presets to reduce file size make assumptions that may not apply in the real world. Broadband medium I think defaults to assuming a 4:3 aspect ratio. Start by clicking the "options" radio box after you've selected Broadband Medium, and then click on "size." Remember that just because it says 16:9 after the size does not mean it's putting out a 16:9 image, many of those options are anamorphic (720x480 16:9 for example). You can always put in a custom size.

If that doesn't work, you may be running up against a bug, and you may have better luck using Compressor (or Cleaner if you're old-school).