23.976 fps for 24 fps Audio

John OBrien

I'm shooting a student film and will be editing via my Adobe Production Studio at home (with Premiere 2.0). A problem I forsee is syncing the sound of my project.

My school has a Fostex DAT recorder that records at only 24fps or 29.97fps. I'm shooting on film and will have the option to telecine out to a 24fps frame rate, but on Adobe Premiere I only have presets for 23.976. I'm worried that if I import my true 24fps files into any of these presets, Adobe Premiere will conform them to 23.976.

Are there true 24fps presets out there? Is there an easier solution to be able to sync the sound from my schools 24fps DAT?

I don't want to have to go out and rent a DAT that can record at 23.976, and even if I did would I have to set the frame rate of the camera to 23.976 as well and have the telecine frame rated out to match?

Any help would be appreciated.

John OBrien

Guest tylerhawes
My school has a Fostex DAT recorder that records at only 24fps or 29.97fps. I'm shooting on film and will have the option to telecine out to a

29.97 is the same thing as 23.976 in the audio world. If you record sound at 29.97, it will synch up with 23.98 picture.

Also, telecine is almost always done to 23.976 unless you specifically ask them to clock to true 24fps. So you should be fine. When they do the film-out, the sound neg house just needs to know it's 23.98 and they will do the 1/1000 pull-up on the sound so it synchs with 24fps film.

So basically, you already have what you need and didn't realize it.