My first single 8 cam

Rick Palidwor

Picked up a Z1 single 8 for $25. Seems to be in good working order and there are a few rolls of film in the bag.

Question: Has anyone here worked with Single8Film.com? How are they?

Has anyone cross-processed Fujichrome R25 ECN2? I ask this because one of my local labs can do it and I am curious what to expect. The cost is the same as sending it to Single8Film but the turn around here would be about 4 weeks better.

Rick

Well, one's negative and one's reversal.

ECN is similar to C-41, but isn't Fuji more E-6ish?.... with that horrible rubbery rem-jet backing? ECN is C-41 modified for the rem-jet removal, I thought....

I think the confusion is that both ECN and Fuji reversal have the heavy rem-jet backing-- but there the similarities end.

Yes, the processing of Single 8 is similar to E6 but difficult because of the "rubbery rem-jet backing". As far as I know there are only 2 labs in the world that are able to handle it:

Fuji Lab in Tokyo (US-based www.single8film.com works with them) and www.retro8.com of Tak Kohyama (who speaks English and German very well). Single 8 films Fujichrome R25N and RT200N and it's processing are very inexpensive compared to Super 8.

Picked up a Z1 single 8 for $25. Seems to be in good working order and there are a few rolls of film in the bag.

Question: Has anyone here worked with Single8Film.com? How are they?

Hey, Rick. Glad to see you jumping into Single-8. Kent at single8film.com has some recently expired film on sale at 50% off ($8 for the 25ASA daylight stock, $9.50 for the 200 ASA tungsten-balanced stuff). I just ordered enough to shoot a couple of films this summer.

I'd check the price of sending directly film to Japan for processing, because otherwise you'll have to pay to send the film to LA, then pay return postage to Canada from LA.

Hey, Rick. Glad to see you jumping into Single-8. Kent at single8film.com has some recently expired film on sale at 50% off ($8 for the 25ASA daylight stock, $9.50 for the 200 ASA tungsten-balanced stuff). I just ordered enough to shoot a couple of films this summer.

I'd check the price of sending directly film to Japan for processing, because otherwise you'll have to pay to send the film to LA, then pay return postage to Canada from LA.

Thanks for the heads up on the film. Do you have the address in Japan to send directly?

Rick

I ve once sent a Single 8 film to Fuji Japan directly and never received it back. As far as I know there is no possibility to do that directly. For this reason I would not publish the address of the lab. Fuji always said that they DO NOT take films directly. There are only two partners of Fuji so far: retro8.com and Singel8.film.com. Be careful otherwise your film is lost!

here's some pretty amazing news:

Martin Baumgarten is now selling-- sit down for this-- some actual Fuji single 8 sound stock.

That's right-- he's selling long-gone R25 sound cartridges, and R25 and R200 pre-striped silent cartridges.

The price? $16 and $12 dollars.

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/Super8mm.html

(I'm going to have to read this again to make sure I'm not seeing things....it's too good to be true....yeah, it's true.)

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to send one of my free carts through single8.com and get one cross-processed ECN2 here out of curiousity as to the outcome of that one. Then I have a dilemma others here have surely faced. This camera also came with an exposed roll inside. I would love to see what is on it but not sure if it's worth the price. Back in the Kodachrome day it was great to get an exposed toll of pre-paid K with the ebay-cam. I could ship it off and see what someone else was shooting without paying for the privilege.

Rick