Nizo 6080

Jimmy falinski

• Premium Member
Does the Nizo 680 read the asa automatically?

I just got some Kodak200T stock.

As far as I know yes - I believe nizos can read most cartridges...but dont quote me on that. Perhaps there is a nizo-head on here who can help,

There is no SMPTE specified 200T speed for Super 8. Set normally it will read it as 160T. Don't worry about this discrepancy, slight overexposure is 'good' for VISION2 stock. If you really really really want to fetishise exact exposure there is a compensation control of +/- 1 stop in 1/3rd stop increments. This assumes that your camera's meter is super-accurate anyway, which is unlikely bearing in mind that it was probably last serviced back in the good ol' days when Ronnie Reagan was president. As a Briton I should probably be talking about Maggie Thatcher, but I'm sure you get my point.

Don't worry about it - shoot a test roll using the internal meter without any exposure compensation and see how you go.

The 6080 will read 200T as ASA 100. But that's OK. Here's why:

Kodak from their specs notches 200T at the ASA 160T speed-notch indice. But they supply the film in a filter-notchless cartridge.

In some cameras-- some of the later ones-- the meter will read the speed-indice at ASA 160. But many other cameras-- including the 6080-- will read the speed-indice, and then-- because of the notchless cartridge pushing in the filter pin-- will set the meter at ASA 100 instead of 160.

This is all by design. The SMPTE standards from 1966 establish that every speed-notch has two film speeds associated with it, 2/3 of an f/stop apart. SMPTE-compliant cameras can toggle between the two film speeds simply by setting or not setting-in the filter pin. This will also determine whether or not the internal 85 filter is set in place as well.

So by design, 'daylight' films that don't use an 85 filter are manufactured at these lower 'daylight' film speeds and are then supplied in a notchless cartridge that also displaces the camera's internal 85 automatically.

But what does this have to do with 200T negative film, you say?

Kodak has determined that negative films should be overexposed by about one stop. So they deliberately speed-notch the film for ASA 160, and then use the SMPTE notchless cartridge method to push in the filter pin and set the meter to that lower film speed of ASA 100. This also disables the filter.

200 to 160 to 100 is one full stop from the speed of the film to the speed at which the 6080 rates it. That's just the way they do it right now. They do the same with the higher speed VISION stock. So... you should use an external 85 over the lens when you use these films, unless you want to color-correct in post.

If you want to get around this methodology, it's easy. Just cut your own filter notch in the cartridge, and the meter will set to ASA 160. Using the filter slide switch, you can then decide whether or not you want to use the camera's internal 85.