Lighting Equipment

Lighting Scenes

If my project will be shot using a digital video camera (i.e., Sony VX2000) can I practice lighting scenes by taking pictures with a SLR digital camera to get a sense of what the shot will look like? And the same question for Film will lighting a scene then shooting with a regular 35mm camera (i.e., Pentex K1000) give me a good idea of what the lighting will look like when I shoot with a 16mm Arriflex? Lastly, can I use the same lighting equipment that I use for photography for video/film? I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks

Jacob S.

When you say "what the lighting will look like" do you mean exposure? If that's the case then probably not. The latitude of film and video are not created equal. What it can do though, is give you an idea of how your lighting placement works out. For the SLR-16MM then yes...if you buy the motion picture still stock from RGB.

What kind of photography equipment do you have? In most cases..why not?

Thanks David

What I meant was if I light a scene... and photographed it with a digital camera (stills) will the lighting/scene look the same when I record it using a digital video camera (motion)? really what I am trying to do is practice lighting via a digital camera (stills) before I buy a digital video camera. I was hoping I could get an idea of what a lit shot would look like by using a digital camera (stills) before I brought a digital video camera (motion). You're saying it won't work? Also, I was applying the same theory to using a SLR 35mm Film camera - lighting the scene taking a photo and wondering would that give me a hint of what shooting the same lit scene on 16mm Arriflex would look like?

Please anyone else who has an opinion on the topic, your words would be greatly appreciated. All comments are welcome...I am learning...thanks again David.

Thanks

JS

js20705@aol.com

Hi Jacob i asked this same question recently in the forum so you should be able to track it down fairly easily.

What i concluded from the answers i received was this:

1) Motion stocks are generally less contrasty and have a wider latitude than still stocks so no it isn't a very accurate comparison using the SLR ... UNLESS:

2) You buy vision 2 stocks put inside SLR canisters from http://www.rgbcolorlab.com/ although you need to send them back there to be processed - it cannot be done at a local lab.

3) You can get SOME idea of what it might look like by using a professional still stock like the kodak portra series which are apparently less contrasty. I'm yet to get my roll processed so i can't yet comment but i'm told this gives you a slightly closer idea.

I really don't know much about digital still cameras. I suspect that the 5MP ones will help you in assessing lighting placement, like an SLR would, considering that the camera has a decent latitude. But as far as cinematography is concerned I don't believe that stills is the poor man's way of learning how to DP...it's a completely different beast.

Maybe other members can shed more light on this topic.

Lighting Scenes

Thanks again David,

I understand what you are saying, and yes I am more concern with light placement and composition (but also with how it will look in terms of color). I believe Alex O. answered my question. He had a similar question, and I went back and read the responses he got.

You guys are so great for sharing. I really appreciate it.

JS

D-SLRs have a tendency to blow the highlights like video--though not nearly as badly. I often use a Nikon D70 for stills of my lighting set-ups so that I have something to go back to if I've got to recreate a scene.

It's also a good tool for learning to manually meter in conjunction with your handheld meter, keeping in mind that the latitude is different than both film and video. You can immediately see the results of where you've set the exposure and can quickly learn where you went wrong or right. It obviously doesn't take into account post-processing of video (or film) or what can be accomplished with optical printing of film. An image that is blown on your DSLR might be perfectly acceptable or salvagable on film--the sensor is even more sensitive in regards to correct exposure than reversal film.

• Premium Member

Hello Matthew,

With your D-70 can you program custom,selective white balance level?

I shoot with Canon Rebel 300D,shoot location,set scenes also. Funny thing

is though I'm a total Nikon photographer,just tried the Canon one day and

decided that I liked it. With the Canon I can focus on say a white window

shade in sunlight,white wall,white building.white clothes and then store that

value for a white balance to be selected. I personally think that the digital

SLR is a handy tool for the cinematographer. I shoot manual almost always.

Greg Gross,Professional Photographer

Student Cinematographer

You can't shift the WB by degrees but there are enough presets, plus auto that it's never been an issue for me. If I'm just out shooting stills I leave it on auto WB and make any finer adjustments in Photoshop. If I'm using it on set, I set it to whatever lights I'm using.