Battery for Arriflex ST needed

Seltaess

Hi All

I have recently acquired an old Arriflex BT camera with a crystal controlled motor. Unfortunately it hasn't come with a battery. Does anyone know where I can get a suitable (new?) 12V battery? I have had little success on ebay

I am located in Sydney, Australia

Thanks in advance

• Premium Member

There are lots of sealed lead-acid gel cell batteries available for things from motorcycles to computer UPS's and burglar alarm systems. Search for electronics suppliers rather than specifically for camera batteries, and you should get a lot more hits. It's fairly easy to build a battery box with the appropriate connector, and to modify a car battery charger for the same connector.

-- J.S.

I just got the same camera and wanted to ask if anyone's had any experience building batteries for the camera? I'm planning to get 8 x AA/2500mAh/Ni-MH/Rechargable batteries into a holder, and wire that up to the power cable. Do you guys think that will work? Will it be enough amps cause according to the manual the camera needs 3A at running speed... :huh:

Regarding this post, you should go to dick smiths and get a 12v lead acid battery... they're a bit heavy but work well. That's the battery that came with my camera.

thanks...

• Premium Member

A while back I baught a DeWalt 12v fllashlight, lobbed off the head and affixed a XLR4 plug. Simple, quick DeWalt camera battery adapter.

DeWalt batteries cost 50 bucks or so, are avaliable at most mom & pop hardware stores as well as lowe's, home depot etc.. Chances are if there is an emergency you can get a backup or replacement battery relativly quickly if you're not shooting at the ends of the earth.

They recharge in an hour, but you can get a 15-minute quick charger. I've ran 5-6 mags on an Arri 16SB (tobin motor) off of one battery.

I try to not use it as my main power source, but it does the job in a pinch and never hurts to have around. Hell, I've wired mr16's into a bunch of DeWalts.. Handy and cheap power sources.

If you don't want to trouble yourself, Doug Underdahl makes them (probably to higher standards than myself). http://www.longvalleyequip.com/adapter.php

• Premium Member

It doesn't have to be DeWalt -- you could use any make of cordless tool battery.

In cordless tools, Bosch and Milwaukee are the best. Makita and Panasonic are mid-quality. DeWalt is a bit lower. Craftsman and Ryobi are the low end.

If you go that route for camera batteries, consider also getting a drill and maybe even a small saw that uses the same ones. Look around for package deals on them. They come in very handy.

The one thing to watch out for on these Ni-MH and Ni-Cad batteries is that they have a limited shelf life. You have to use them -- put them thru charge and discharge cycles -- or they go bad.

-- J.S.