Post-Strike Environment

Hey everyone,

I read the Times article yesterday that talked about how a lot of union crew members (and nonunion, presumably) are struggling more than ever to find work after the strike, as the pilot season has been curtailed so sharply and fewer features are being produced right now from a year ago.

(here's the link:

LA Times Article)

In any case, I was wondering if the people here have experienced the same thing? Has it been markedly harder to find work right now in the aftermath of the strike? I would appreciate everyone's responses; I'm writing a paper in a class of mine and since I freelance as a 2AC I figured I'd use a topic close to home. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

It's certainly true that our pilot season is about 1/3 to 1/4 of what it was last year. So, a lot of people who worked then missed the boat this time. Hiring was done 3-4 weeks ago.

-- J.S.

What I find interesting is that I just received a comment from someone who works in a company with a first-look deal at a major studio, and he told me that he's seen things return to what they were pre-strike with even more activity regarding specs. However, that doesn't have much to do with the immediate impacts of shows shooting now (or lack thereof).

The New York area is very busy but that will end soon as producers plan around a possible SAG strike. Even if there is an agreement before the June 30th or whenever the contract ends there will be a slowdown as films are postponed.

Having said that, have a good summer.

Best

Tim

The New York area is very busy but that will end soon as producers plan around a possible SAG strike. Even if there is an agreement before the June 30th or whenever the contract ends there will be a slowdown as films are postponed.

Having said that, have a good summer.

Best

Tim

I am just happy that I got work full time as a TV broadcast camera operator.

• Premium Member

I was just talking to some friends about this last night. They work exclusively in commercials and I work in tv, features, commercials, etc... We have all noticed how much slower it is right now. I think it's a combination of the WGA strike, the impending SAG strike, and the recession. It's a bad combo and I think most people that aren't full time on a show are feeling it. Hopefully that will change as soon as SAG signs a new deal. On the other hand, if SAG does strike I think we should all start to look for real jobs because that would just completely screw everyone.

• Premium Member
On the other hand, if SAG does strike I think we should all start to look for real jobs because that would just completely screw everyone.

I forsee a huge amount of stop-motion and animated films... :blink: