FCP Timeline/code overlay?

Phil Savoie

• Premium Member

I'd like to make the time line TC overlay, which is quite small box in the upper right hand corner appear as a large overlay somewhere in frame - aka Avid like - so I can easily refer to TC when taking notes during viewings. So far I've been unsuccessful in figuring this out. I'm running version 5.1.4 at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Premium Member
I'd like to make the time line TC overlay, which is quite small box in the upper right hand corner appear as a large overlay somewhere in frame - aka Avid like - so I can easily refer to TC when taking notes during viewings. So far I've been unsuccessful in figuring this out. I'm running version 5.1.4 at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I believe there is such a plugin for FCP, although I don't recall the actual name of it. If memory serves correctly (it doesn't always), I may have accessed that info through FCP support on the Apple website.

• 3 months later...

Phil -

Not sure if you've figured this out since you posted 3 months ago, but here it is:

When you've got your footage in the timeline, go to "Video filters>Video>Timecode Generator". Drag and drop that onto the footage in your timeline. I think you'll have to do this with every individual clip in a normal sequence, or the easier option is to create a nested sequence. That means create a new sequence (call it "Sequence with TC" or something like that), drag your old sequence from the browser window (top left) down into the timeline of the new sequence, then apply the Timecode Generator to the whole sequence in one fell swoop.

That's all with FCP 5.1.4, and I'm pretty sure that it works the same way in FCP 6.