Light Boom

Matt Workman

Hey,

Excuse my Zoolander quote...actually just embrace it!

Ok, so I've been stalking some music video set photos and I've been encountering some pictures of people booming their keylights...usually kino wall-light, parabeam, 4x4...Also parabeams/kinos are always spiking magenta on me lately, I've been using all tungsten lately.

I've been using 20' goal posts lately but this whole boom thing seems pretty decent. Here are some pictures of some. One is really big one its pretty small. How do you usually grip this?

20080504-01.jpg

20080504-02.jpg

20080504-03.jpg

I've heard of the new MSE boom stand but I've never seen it on set so I'm hesitant to pull it out. This is different/better than the menace arms I've encountered also.

Thanks,

Matt

PS: Going to be doing this on my next upcoming club music video, style officially bit

The last photo shows Modern Studio Equipment's Pipe Boom Kit (Part # 015-2810), which also requires you to have Allen Keys and a rachet strap. Mounts in any 4" grip head (sky hi, lollipop in a windup, etc). Just make sure that you counter balance, but don't forget about the amount of weight you have overhead.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I was at RGH today and I talked to the guy who runs the place and they have several of the large booms.

They take junior recievers and the tilt and extent are on cranks with BEEFY locks. That Parabeam is probaby the max weight capacity. Just called megabooms or something like that.

Matt

PS: learned there is no difference between claycoat and ultra bounce...so they say