Red is a tank

Mike Berlucchi

So I have my first shoot with the Red this weekend, we prepped the camera over at Indie Rentals in Hollywood yesterday afternoon. My director wanted to fly the camera off of the Segway/Steadicam combo which in my opinion doesn't seem like it should even work, but somehow it does. Anyway my director jumped on the contraption and headed outside into the over-full parking lot. As he tried to squeeze his way through 2 cars the wheel on the Segway caught on a tire which threw him and the camera to the pavement. He and the camera took a pretty hard hit but somehow not a single thing got damaged, luckily the ultra prime didn't brace the fall. Just wanted to let everyone know if they feel like dropping their cameras from 5ft onto concrete to go for it, actually don't do that, but the camera can take a beating.

Segway/steadycam combo? I have never heard of a rig like that? Has anyone got experience with it? It seems like steadycam is all about balancing your weight and a seqway is all about throwing your balance of to direct it where to go. it seems you wouldn't even have a free hand to turn the segway handle? Do you have any video of this rig? Especialy video of the actual incident? could make for some good you tube fodder

It's a special rebuilt variant of the Segway. The operator clamps an actuator bar between his/her legs and pressure against this along with foot pedals controls the rig. Experience is a major plus, and even a good Steadicam Op will need time to learn it well.

• Premium Member
Anyway my director jumped on the contraption and headed outside into the over-full parking lot. As he tried to squeeze his way through 2 cars the wheel on the Segway caught on a tire which threw him and the camera to the pavement.

Why was he trying to operate off the Segway? The Segway/Steadicam combo is very doable for someone with experience and very specialized training, but I don't understand why your director was trying to do it. He should leave that kind of specialized work to someone who knows what he's doing. He's lucky he didn't trash the camera and/or the Segway. Get yourself a good steadicam operator who's worked with the Segway and you'll be fine. Just keep your director off it.

• Premium Member
Maybe get a second segway for the director -- so there's enough toys to go around. ;-)

-- J.S.

Actually, maybe getting a third is a better idea so that after he trashes the second one he still won't try to ride the one that the operator needs.

Yeah, toys toys toys. He is actually a very experienced Steadicam operator which is why I didn't see any harm in it. But I agree, its a very specialized skill and they probably shouldn't be renting them out without an operator.