ASA 250 Daylight film and Canon Auto Zoom 814 compatible?

Justin Ferar

I just ordered 6 rolls of 250D film (Pro8mm) and I just assumed the 814 would be fine with it. Whups!

I'm reading the manual which states that the highest rating it will accept is 160.

What exactly happens when one uses 250D in this situation (notches et al)?

Would appreciate any help here. Thanks!

Which canon 814 model do you have? the manual for my 814 auto zoom electronic says it will do 250D. Also you can try calling pro 8mm they might be able to process the film for you a certain way. There ways you can get around it, but if you really want to shoot with the higher ASA film stocks you might consider getting a beaulieu.

I too am curious about the precise model of 814 you have. The 814 Auto Zoom (mostly silver) will read 250 properly, as will the 814 Auto Zoom Electronic. Do you have an 814 XLS? That one I don't know about.

The question for Pro8 is whether their 250 is properly notched.

Rick

It's a "Auto Zoom 814".

You can see the manual here:

http://www.jamesvanarsdale.com/links/canonsuper8.html

Unfortunately the guy who host's that link removed the close ups but you can see the thumbnails.

Anyway page 17 of the manual states:

"Tungsnten type: ASA 25, 32, 40, 50, 64, 80, 100,125,160, 200, 250.

Daylight type: ASA 16, 20, 25,32, 40, 50, 64, 80, 100, 125, 160."

I'm assuming that 250 D just didn't exist back then and so it wasn't listed and I'm pretty sure the Pro8 film is properly notched although I didn't measure it.

I've already shot the footage so time will tell!

I'm assuming that 250 D just didn't exist back then and so it wasn't listed and I'm pretty sure the Pro8 film is properly notched although I didn't measure it.

I've already shot the footage so time will tell!

Ahh, 250D. I missed that detail the first time around. You might be a half-stop over-exposed.

Rick

No, your Canon should run 250D just fine. All the 250 'tungsten' means is that the 814 will meter ASA 250 when the filter switch is set to bulb-- i.e. no filter, which is what 'daylight' film wants anyway. Daylight film doesn't need or want the internal 85 filter.

So, if the film is notched at the same size as ASA 250T, you're set. Just make sure the filter switch is set to bulb and fire away-- I'm not sure if this 814 has a filter switch or a filter key. If the latter, just make sure it's in place to force out the filter.

If the cartridge is notchless as for daylight films via the SMPTE method, then the meter will be set to ASA 160 rather than 250, and without a filter in place, which is what you want. The worst that this will do is just overexpose it about a half-stop, which is OK with this film.

When these camera specs say ASA 250 tungsten, all they mean is that it's without the 85 filter in place, as for tungsten lighting conditions. Tungsten light doesn't need the 85.

Anyone know how Pro 8 notches this film?