TK session to DPX

Rolfe Klement

Just back from a TK session.

We have just had 20min of sequential graded footage run out to DPX

I have just opened the drive and seen the DPX's are split across four folders (VT1 - VT4)

I can import each folder's footage using GLUETOOLS but it remains 4 seperate sequences - not one long sequence.

There is one CP file included in the root. The CP file looks like xml but I am not a xml expert

When I try bring the CP file into to FCP with xml import - no luck (I get into the translation loop - which is FCP's way of crashing)

Does anyone have any experience with this? or do I need to call my TK back and whine.

The problem is my EDL is not linking to DPX timecode - so instead of going into a frame timecode match exercise I thought I would ask here first

thanks

Rolfe

Just back from a TK session.

We have just had 20min of sequential graded footage run out to DPX

I have just opened the drive and seen the DPX's are split across four folders (VT1 - VT4)

This is not uncommon for longer sequences, as it makes it much more manageable by most common filesystems. 20 minutes of 8MB DPX files would be over 28,000 files in one directory. With most desktop operating systems, that takes a while to evaluate and manage. By splitting it up, you get much better response when looking at the directories and evaluating the files. In most cases, the split points are determined by the material itself and how it is done in telecine. Did the 20 minutes consist of one shot (doubtful), or multiple shots that required different color corrections? Were you at the transfer, and/or did you tell the facility how you wanted the material organized?

I can import each folder's footage using GLUETOOLS but it remains 4 seperate sequences - not one long sequence.

If you really want it to be one long sequence, you can copy everything into one folder and rename the files to be sequential. You can assign a time code for the first frame within the Gluetools interface, or just rename them so that the frame number represents the time code. In Gluetools (at least in version 3.0), you can have Gluetools use the frame number as the time code instead of the DPX header TC.

There is one CP file included in the root. The CP file looks like xml but I am not a xml expert

I have absolutely no idea what a "CP" file is, but my guess is that it is written by whatever device or software was used to do the DPX export and only has meaning there.

The problem is my EDL is not linking to DPX timecode - so instead of going into a frame timecode match exercise I thought I would ask here first

Are you sure that there actually is DPX timecode? Did you specifically request it, or ask the facility if the files would contain it? Even if there isn't, you can use the method I described above to have Gluetools interpret a timecode that is whatever you need it to be.