London Rental House

Hello all

I'm shooting a documentary in London next month and I need to rent a few tungsten lights, perhaps Blondes or Redheads. Anyway, its my first time shooting in London and I'm looking for recommendations of the best rental houses to work with, i.e. amenable, best deals, easy going, etc. Also, can you plug Blonde's into wall power in the UK? Sorry for my ingnorance, just wondering. Thanks all.

Travis

Hello all

I'm shooting a documentary in London next month and I need to rent a few tungsten lights, perhaps Blondes or Redheads. Anyway, its my first time shooting in London and I'm looking for recommendations of the best rental houses to work with, i.e. amenable, best deals, easy going, etc. Also, can you plug Blonde's into wall power in the UK? Sorry for my ingnorance, just wondering. Thanks all.

Travis

Share a few more details about the documentary, I go to Ravensbourne college (London) and have access to tons of lighting, wouldn't mind getting involved and could kit the production out a bit.

And yes blondes will plug into a 13 amp 3 pin socket here in the UK.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Whereabouts in London are you shooting? (though prob doesn't matter as most deliver free/cheap within M25)

There's

TX or Axis Hire at Shepperton

Lightning Media in West London **

Filmscape Media in SouthWest London **

Video Europe in Soho

Decode in Hammersmith

Direct Lighting in Waterloo

(** = particularly recommended for price and helpfulness)

UK Ring Main is usually 30A

Wall sockets are 13A

Mains is 220V-240V

Redhead: 3.64A (800W)

Blonde: 9.09A (2kW)

So one blonde per socket, up to 3 blondes on the ring main would theoretically be fine. Most places may have more than one ring main.

Edited by Pete Wallington

• Premium Member

Pete gave you a good list.

The two main big ones are Arri Media and Panalux (they just absorbed Lee Lighting). They're both huge companies with tons of stock. None of them based in the center of London, so they have to truck stuff to you.

Direct Lighting are based in London and easily accessible. Calumet is a stills photography chain that has two shops in London, one in Soho and one close to King's Cross. They rent smaller lights an if all you need is a couple of Redheads, then they and Direct Lighting are probably your best choice.