Lomo opf 18-1

Shane Kelly

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Lomo opf18-1 zoom lens. The lens has a rear filter holder. Does anyone with this lens have a set of these filters? I would assume that you would need to keep a clear filter in the holder in order to keep the back focus correct. You used to have to do this with the angenieux 5.9mm lens but maybe it's not an issue with the zoom.

Anyone have the answer to this?

Thanks,

Shane.

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Lomo opf18-1 zoom lens. The lens has a rear filter holder. Does anyone with this lens have a set of these filters? I would assume that you would need to keep a clear filter in the holder in order to keep the back focus correct. You used to have to do this with the angenieux 5.9mm lens but maybe it's not an issue with the zoom.

Thanks,

Shane.

Hi Shane,

I have a couple of these lenses and no rear filters- and no issues with back focus (with or without the various tele and anamorphic adapters).

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

Hi all,

Thanks,

Shane.

35 OPF-18-1 russian LOMO zoom lens 12-120 mm don't have rear filters.

35 OPF-18-1 russian LOMO zoom lens 12-120 mm don't have rear filters.

Olex,

It's the 35 opf 18-1. the 20 -120. It does have a small screw-in filter holder in the rear ( about 34mm in diameter ). Maybe this was just intended for gel filters?

and Bruce, thanks, that's good to know.

Olex,

It's the 35 opf 18-1. the 20 -120. It does have a small screw-in filter holder in the rear ( about 34mm in diameter ). Maybe this was just intended for gel filters?

and Bruce, thanks, that's good to know.

I don't have 12-120 mm zoom lens on my hand now,

but, in accord of draft from user manual, the body of rear optical component have outside screw with small diameter. ( If need, I can send picture ).

This screw can be technological or may be designer think to use of special holder for rear filter.

From other side, if you will use of additional optical rear adapters ( anamorphic and tele ), the user manual show of lvery small distance between rear glass of zoom lens and front glass of adapters.

That's why, you must be careful.

If you will use of 12-120 mm zoom lens without additional adapters, i think, you can build of personal holder for thin gelatin filters and use with lens.

The important - the filter not must touch of glass of lens.

As for me, i recommed to setup of screw or holder inside of rear mount part of lens ( removable part with lens mount ).

Hi all,

Thanks,

Shane.

You just use gel filters. Does not effect FFD. Those are nice lenses if they are in good shape, enjoy !

Matt Uhry

www.mattuhry.com

You just use gel filters. Does not effect FFD. Those are nice lenses if they are in good shape, enjoy !

Matt Uhry

www.mattuhry.com

Hi Matt,

thanks for the info. Mine seems to be in good shape, I have a PL mount coming from Viktor at spbsale.com in the next few weeks so I'll be able to tell how it tracks etc. The one thing that interested me with the lens was how free the zoom and focus rings spin - like there is hardly any dampening or grease in there at all. Is this your experience? Have you used the macro function on this lens?

Thanks,

Shane.

• 8 months later...

I recently had my OPF 18-1 serviced and set up for 235 in Mumbai. The tech dicovered a layer of what appears to be tiny oil droplets on one of the inner elements. I know these lenses are not worth taking apart - have any other owners experienced this? The lens is still sharp, even sharper that the round front 235 primes and with this flaw this surprised me.

Jake

• Premium Member
Hi Matt,

The one thing that interested me with the lens was how free the zoom and focus rings spin - like there is hardly any dampening or grease in there at all. Is this your experience? Have you used the macro function on this lens?

The focus and zoom rings spin very freely on these lenses. Which brings me to a very important point of you are not already aware: secure the zoom ring when transporting the lens! Many of these lenses have been rendered useless when the moving elements inside the lens slam into the front elements, shattering them. I always put a piece of tape in the middle of the range to keep it from moving.

The macro function is works well, almost up to the front element.

Gel filters at the rear of the lens work nicely in the holder. I haven't found any glass ones that fit, so rear ffd issues are moot!

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com