200 ft. Mags

Tom Hepburn

Hello,

In my limited 16mm experience I've shot with a camera that only held 100 ft loads. Now I've purchased an ACL, largely based on the advice of this board. I'm really pumped about it too!

I have a 200 and a 400 ft. magazine. Obviously, the 400 footer is pretty straight forward.

BUT, what are people doing with their 200 ft. mags? How are they loading them and with what size spools of film? If you're cutting down a 400 ft. spool could you be specific in terms of how you get from the 400 ft to the 200 ft?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

I use short ends and 200' A-minima rolls with my 200' ACL mag.

With the A-minima one has to break off the daylight flanges in a changing bag and thread it counterclockwise, since it is emulsion out, as opposed to clockwise threading for regular emulsion in rolls.

Re spooling 400 onto 200 is problematic, you have to get a lab to do it for you unless you have a dark room and rewinds.

Hi Saul,

"I use short ends and 200' A-minima rolls with my 200' ACL mag"

Are you saying that you are using short ends ON a A-minima roll or that you're using 200 ft shortends and in addition you are also using 200 foot A-minima rolls? Sorry, I think there are two ways to read that one.

Doesn't the feed side of the ACL turn counterclockwise with the perforations down anyway?

I normally buy film from Film Emporium, where would I buy those A-minima 200 foot rolls?

Thanks again.

Tom

Hi Saul,

"I use short ends and 200' A-minima rolls with my 200' ACL mag"

Are you saying that you are using short ends ON a A-minima roll or that you're using 200 ft shortends and in addition you are also using 200 foot A-minima rolls? Sorry, I think there are two ways to read that one.

Doesn't the feed side of the ACL turn counterclockwise with the perforations down anyway?

I normally buy film from Film Emporium, where would I buy those A-minima 200 foot rolls?

Thanks again.

Tom

I use both short ends AND Aminima loads on my ACL. One cannot use emulsion in short ends (the most available kind) on Aminima mags unless they are emulsion out AND on daylight reels or loaded in a changing bag.

The feed side of the ACL turns clockwise with sprocket holes down on my (French) mags and then it does a 180 degree loop turn, I don't know what type mags you have. Or your dunmmy load might have been tails out without you realizing it. It can be confusing. When you buy a load of fresh film or short ends, you will find out for sure which way it loads if you can't get it to thread the way you have been doing it.

Just make sure that (no matter what) the ligther, duller side of the film (emulsion) is facing the lens as it is going through the throat of the magazine. Obviously, the sprocket holes have to align to the right side as well. It doesn't matter what side the film curls out to as long as the two things I mentioned here stay consistent.

In my limited 16mm experience I've shot with a camera that only held 100 ft loads. Now I've purchased an ACL, largely based on the advice of this board. I'm really pumped about it too!

I have a 200 and a 400 ft. magazine. Obviously, the 400 footer is pretty straight forward.

BUT, what are people doing with their 200 ft. mags? How are they loading them and with what size spools of film? If you're cutting down a 400 ft. spool could you be specific in terms of how you get from the 400 ft to the 200 ft?

I happen to like Fuji film with the added benefit of 200' daylight spool loads being available. So, I guess Fuji is an option for you unless you must use Kodak.

I should have mentioned that I'm shooting 1/2 black and white at this point in time. So I believe that takes Fuji out of the equation.

Where would I buy the A-minima rolls? I haven't seen them before.

Tom

I should have mentioned that I'm shooting 1/2 black and white at this point in time. So I believe that takes Fuji out of the equation.

Where would I buy the A-minima rolls? I haven't seen them before.

Tom

Last time I checked, www.mediadistributors.com had a big stock of Aminima loads that they wanted to sell fast, it was a while back though . . .

I didn't buy any, decided to go with short ends.