SuperDuper8 for NIZO gate

Damien Dubois

Hello,

I want to file down the gate of my nizo (801) in order to get the SD8 frame size.

I went at a clockwork craftsman' to ask him to do this task with a perfect technic.

According to him it's not that difficult with his diamonds files and a bit of experience :)

His price is quite fair as he told me it will be nearly free :mrgreen:

The only problem is that he would like to know the exact size of the new frame and want to know if he has to make a new bevel like on the other side of the cavity and if there is a need to paint it in black to finish properly the task.

Would you please give me the appopriate size of the new frame and give some precision about the paint & the bevel.

Will he has to file down the left side of the existing frame or the right hand size, according to the picture attached:

Front side:

gatenizofrontqe9.jpg

Back side (with the evilish springs that runaway everytime I try to put the gate back at it's place :twisted: ...):

gatenizobackpv4.jpg

Thank you in advance for all your advices,

Best regards

Damian

PS: Put a magnet next to the gate when you remove it, not to lose the small springs that press the brackets.

The only problem is that he would like to know the exact size of the new frame

Use a short strip of currently-offered film, placed in the gate, firmly against the PDC slot side to gauge. I usually take it (remove material) just past the edge of the filmstrip, but if one is worried about the film buckling during transport (doesn't happen), one could stop short of the edge. This of course will result in a less wide image area.

and want to know if he has to make a new bevel like on the other side of the cavity and if there is a need to paint it in black to finish properly the task.

No bevel needed, but he will have to buff the worked area with wet diamond grit sandpaper. Then put pressure on the (virgin) filmstrip while dragging it through the gate, then use a powerful magnifier to check the filmstrip for emulsion scratches.

I use a Sharpie to black out the worked area - it (the ink) will not (cannot) chip off. This step is necessary to avoid halation.

Will he has to file down the left side of the existing frame or the right hand size, according to the picture attached:

Remove material from the side ***opposite*** the pull down claw slot - there is no point widening the aperture into the perfs...

Try a tiny dab of contact cement to keep the evil springs in place when re-installing the gate.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch Perkins