Mac Pro, or Mac Book Pro?

graham robbins

Hey guys I am Graduating High school in June. I am moving into an apartment near LA with a friend and going to film school. My parents are going to buy me an editing system for graduation. I am at a loss though I currently run final cut studio 2 on my mac at home so I am very use to it. Though my primary interest is in Production, I am still young and end up editing the movies I make. So I need something powerful enough to last me through college. So my question is should I purchase a mac pro, or a mac book pro? My film teacher has told me to go with the desktop for editing, but I find a desktop a bit limiting. What would you say the pro's of a desktop for editing are v.s. a laptop. Also I need something powerful enough to handle lots of HDV footage because I have a cannon Xh-A1 and I usually film 1080i. So to sum all that up which mac would you recommend the desktop or laptop. What should I put in it. My budget is pretty open for now I just need to keep it under 3,500$.

Thanks in advanced,

Graham R.

Hey guys I am Graduating High school in June. I am moving into an apartment near LA with a friend and going to film school. My parents are going to buy me an editing system for graduation. I am at a loss though I currently run final cut studio 2 on my mac at home so I am very use to it. Though my primary interest is in Production, I am still young and end up editing the movies I make. So I need something powerful enough to last me through college. So my question is should I purchase a mac pro, or a mac book pro? My film teacher has told me to go with the desktop for editing, but I find a desktop a bit limiting. What would you say the pro's of a desktop for editing are v.s. a laptop. Also I need something powerful enough to handle lots of HDV footage because I have a cannon Xh-A1 and I usually film 1080i. So to sum all that up which mac would you recommend the desktop or laptop. What should I put in it. My budget is pretty open for now I just need to keep it under 3,500$.

Thanks in advanced,

Graham R.

If HDV, DVCPRO HD is what you are editng, a Mac Book Pro will totally do it. Unless you are doing uncompressed HD and/ or doing a lot of 3D/ HD rendering you should be fine with a top-of-the-line maxed-out-RAM Mac Book Pro.

Ok thats sounds great and Ill be under my budget so Ill have a little extra for a new mic, or to fund a film. Thanks a ton Saul.

Both will edit HDV material fine but if your buying a system for editing then I would go with a desktop. You just don't get the reliability, speed, and upgradibility on a laptop. Unless you intend to edit onsite or you need portability then there isn't really any benefit to having a laptop, especially as a work station sitting in your room. For the money saved by getting a moderately specced Mac Pro you could probably get a cheap laptop on top.

This is my preference anyway. Good luck.

I got a quad-core Mac Pro when I graduated and I've just kept upgrading the RAM and hard drives and I am more than happy with it. For around $3,500 you're not going to be able to get the full bundle since you'll still have to buy a nice monitor and speakers and such.

Mac Book Pros are good for if you're a film student and will be editing projects on it, just make sure you have big external drives that are Fireware capable and you should be good to go :) . Oh, and max out the memory on it, that is what will make the biggest difference.

If you go with the Mac Pro, here are my specs and I am in LOVE with it :) .

Mac Pro

- 2x Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz

- 5gb 667Hz RAM (added 4gb from stock from iRam)

- 250gb hard drive for all non-video related files and misc apps.

- 36gb 10,000RPM hard drive for OS, FCS2, CS3 boot

- 500gb hard drive for all video related storage

- 22" widescreen Hanns-G HD monitor

- Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers

- Logitech wireless mouse

Have fun!

I too prefer towers, but unable to afford what I REALLY want (8 core mac pro with the Blackmagic Eclipse multibridge) I have been using my 1.83ghz duo mac book pro and now my 2.4 ghz duo 2 iMac to stellar results, with the limitations I listed earlier. Given that Graham will mostly be editing HDV, I stand by my previous post.