Sekonic C-500 Color Temp Meter

• 3 months later...

Mine has served me well in the two months I've had it. Seems like the best choice out there now.

Most useful features for me (aside from the obvious) are memory/difference, variable Kelvin presets, and footcandle readings (which would make this a great tool for a gaffer). Controls are very similar to Sekonic's exposure meters.

Sekonic boasts the two separate red sensors for digital and film-- I honestly can't quantify how effective or different from each other they are--- but I will say that the meter has been very accurate in all situations so far.

Other than that-- build quality is solid, rubber grips on the side are great, and it's smaller than the Minolta/Kenko meters (fits in the same Karau pouch as a Sekonic 358). Never used the Gossen before, but that little receptor head looks like it's begging to be snapped off...

• 1 month later...

I'm actually wondering the same thing too! I came across a bad review of the new meter online and wanted to know what anyone else thinks of this... still worth buying, or no? With the issues that this guy raises, it seems like the Minolta is still a better choice... anyone willing to give advice? Many thanks!!

Posting bad review below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 2300K - 20,000K? By Jeffitz from Los Angeles, CA on 9/16/2008

Pros: Compact, Lightweight, Strong Construction

Cons: Inaccurate, Inconsistent

Describe Yourself: Pro Photographer

I failed to read the Specs completely when I purchased this meter to replace my 14 year-old Minolta Color Meter II. I was very dismayed to find out that it will not measure color temperatures below 2,300K or higher than 20,000K. When measuring dimmed tungsten sources, ambient daylight (not the sun), or malfunctioning HMI's, the Kelvin values can easily go beyond that narrow range. It would be nice to know exactly what those color temps are rather than just getting a blinking "u" or "o" instead. As a result, my trusty Minolta still has not lost it's place on my meter belt for as long as it hangs in there. If you don't care about taking readings outside those ranges, then I suppose that doesn't matter.

I also find that it keeps suggesting a 1-4Magenta filter (green content) when taking readings of isolated tungsten light, sun, and ambient daylight when in "Film" mode, but is 0 in "Digital" mode. Those sources should all read 0 regardless since they are full spectrum sources that film is theoretically balanced for. It also gives different Kelvin values when in Digital vs. Film modes. I'm not sure why this is? The Kelvin temperature of light sources should be completely independent of the type of equipment being used (even if that equipment has differing spectral sensitivity). The only thing that should change is the appropriate filter. Perhaps I've got a funky meter?

Aside from those failings, it's a very well constructed meter right in line with my L-608cine light meter. It has lots of little bells and whistles that I'll probably never use for motion pictures (once my Minolta finally dies), but I suppose might be more handy for still photography.