Yes, I will. First of all the turret plate is the original, so lenses are still centered on the film middle line, not onto the new wider frame. Grebenstein in Germany used to shift the central turret post in order to take the lens mount threads 1,1 mm to the left, seen from behind the camera towards the scene. Another solution would be to swap the disc with a new one that has the ports more outwardly on the radius. That again is not simple because Paillard-Bolex (or whoever did that at the time) have cut the threads so that the entry is at the twelve o’clock position. Lenses whose index line is oriented to half past one (45 degrees downward) can be interchanged among the turret ports and retain the orientation.
Next, the aperture, machined out obviously, was left blank metal. They wouldn’t even grab a sharpie and blacken the inner rim. Ghost frames were the result, that’s the designation in my language by meaning, the client showed me some footage on his laptop computer he brought with him, scanned on an Arrilaser.
Thirdly the sprocket drums seemed to have the teeth shortened but I didn’t measure that out since the client took the camera with him swiftly after I had disclosed to him what loss he was facing. When I tried the camera last week I did what I always do, then under the eyes of the owner, I used it like anybody uses such a camera. Wound the spring, closed the loop formers (where I encountered the old only half-solved problem of an almost hold sometimes), cut the film diagonally in the built-in knife (to feel whether that’s still sharp), and let the film thread mechanism lace up. In the lower loop the film derailed, I had to let the release go. Without a doubt the film guides were not aligned.
Fourth, the very outermost maybe ten percent of the image width showed vignetting, depending on the focal length of the lenses used, to be seen clearly with the footage. When I peered onto the aperture from the front I realised that the reflex prism block cut into the Super-16 image. To remedy this the glass would have needed to be unglued from the bracket, shifted by only half to one millimeter, and cemented back in. One can work on the holder as well but from my experiences with the unit it’s better to leave its bores intact.
The camera was in an unusable state. The young man didn’t tell me what price he payed to acquire it (I wouldn’t ask) but he unveiled what he payed to Bolex International.
To sum it up, a correct conversion costs around about $ 2,000. One must also know that a new pressure plate becomes necessary with the H cameras because the original one is too narrow to press the film down on the half millimeter of rail that bears it on one side.
I have seen two H cameras with aperture plates filed for Ultra-16 and listened to the cant of the owner in my shop (six years ago now), that image steadiness was poor. I remember to have shown him that he not only jeopardised steadiness but caused a focus issue, too. A wreckage.