HD to Super8 back to HD

Albert Smith

...know where to post this...but ok.

I am doing a project with rear projection (it is the intro to a snowboard film). the rear projection is a stylistic choice...meaning i want it to look like its rear projection were not trying to make it look like a green screen. so anyways we are shooting HD, but since much of the theme of the film has to do with film shot from the actual snowboarders in the movie on super 8 we wanted the backgrounds to match this footage so to accomplish this I thought it would be cool to have the backgrounds we use for the intro be super 8 film but then shoot it HD so the foreground and subject matter is still on video...kinda a mismatched look to give it some interest. Anyways since most of the backgrounds we want to project are also originating on video we need a way to make these backgrounds look like super 8...now of course there is some stuff you can do on a computer but it never looks right. So my thoughts are since alot of the backgrounds will be pulled slightly out of focus...and they are backgrounds anyways so quality and super sharp resolution isn't a huge priority why don't we just take our HD backgrounds project them onto a screen shoot them in super 8 and then have that telecined back to HD for projection. ..I know we dont have the money to actually do a video to film transfer...don't even know if anyone does that with super 8...so this is the best alternative i have come up with.

does anyone have any thoughts about this crazy workflow haha, do you think that it'll work anyone tried anything like this before?

I'm thinking the best way to retain quality would be to project small and as sharp as possible and zoom in tight with the camera...sound right?

thanks for any information on this subject at all

-Jake