35mm stills to learn a lesson

Nick Norton

Since my only camera (super 8 canon 1014xl-s) is no longer working, i've thought about using my 35mm slr to continue experimenting with light.

I'm also in the midst of purchasing my first proffessional light kit, and wanted something to try it out with.

So, do you think i could learn lighting for cinematography from a still camera?

Thanks-

Nicholas

• Premium Member

Yes, absolutely. It can be even better, because you can take your time looking at the results. Look for those companies that spool down motion picture stocks for still cameras. They develop the neg, make a workprint, and send you that workprint mounted as slides. Looking at projected slides is very useful. But paper prints don't correspond as closely to what you'd see in a theater.

-- J.S.

Anyone else know of the companies John is talking about?

A&I in Los Angeles do it, although I don't think it's essential to use motion picture stocks for what you mentioned in the first post - experimenting with light. Regular stills film will do that just as well & cheaper & quicker.

A&I in Los Angeles do it, although I don't think it's essential to use motion picture stocks for what you mentioned in the first post - experimenting with light. Regular stills film will do that just as well & cheaper & quicker.

A&I stopped doing it awhile back. I'd recommend just using standard slide film, honestly.