Book on cinematography/film for a 13 year old?

As you may or may now know, we've started the Del Norte' Film Institute as the non profit arm of Black Sky Films International and are beginning the process of working with people interested in film making here in the Southwest. One of our first un-official students during this early start-up period is a 13 year old who wants to become a film maker. I first thought mini DV because of the ease but have begun to rethink my original assumption. I'm now thinking 16mm shorts for beginning film makers to instill a sense of discipline and professionalism in the very earliest stages of their training. One problem is I need a book that is relatively easy to understand that will give students the basics of FILM making. We're leaning towards picking up a few Bolexes, Bell and Howells maybe an Arri or a Mitchell when we can afford one, letting them use a few lights and stands. Giving them 400 to a thousand feet of film and letting them go shoot something. But prior to this, they would have to submit a script, budget and shooting schedule for a 3 to 5 minute short, get it approved, as if they were working for a studio. They would also have to study and learn on their own in addition to the technical support and training we would provide. Anyone have any suggestions on cinematography books that would be appropriate to a younger crowd?

As you may or may now know, we've started the Del Norte' Film Institute as the non profit arm of Black Sky Films International and are beginning the process of working with people interested in film making here in the Southwest. One of our first un-official students during this early start-up period is a 13 year old who wants to become a film maker. I first thought mini DV because of the ease but have begun to rethink my original assumption. I'm now thinking 16mm shorts for beginning film makers to instill a sense of discipline and professionalism in the very earliest stages of their training. One problem is I need a book that is relatively easy to understand that will give students the basics of FILM making. We're leaning towards picking up a few Bolexes, Bell and Howells maybe an Arri or a Mitchell when we can afford one, letting them use a few lights and stands. Giving them 400 to a thousand feet of film and letting them go shoot something. But prior to this, they would have to submit a script, budget and shooting schedule for a 3 to 5 minute short, get it approved, as if they were working for a studio. They would also have to study and learn on their own in addition to the technical support and training we would provide. Anyone have any suggestions on cinematography books that would be appropriate to a younger crowd?

Back in the day, Kodak had a student filmmaker's program that had materials available that were written on a high-school level...

I was about that age when I got my first copy of Pincus & Aschers' "Filmmakers Handbook". While most of it was way over my head, it did instill enough knowledge and respect for the technology for me to get started a few years later. I'm sure the chapters applicable to what you're teaching would be a good start, at least.

I taught high school level cinematography for a few years before landing AC work full time, and I rarely gave out book recommendations (except to the really devoted students) simply because its hard to find a book on the subject that's... Casual?