Arri repair recommendations?

andrewbuchanan

Just when you least expect it... dead tach on my 2C. I got this camera pretty recently, and I haven't had to service anything on it yet. Anybody have recommendations on a service provider? I'm in North Carolina... but anything in the USA would work. Thanks.

Just when you least expect it... dead tach on my 2C.  I got this camera pretty recently, and I haven't had to service anything on it yet.  Anybody have recommendations on a service provider?  I'm in North Carolina... but anything in the USA would work.  Thanks.

Axel Broda he is in CA. CSC, better known as ARRI use him when the new younger techs cant fix the camera. He is a legend around NFL ( he converted all their 16mm cams. to super 16 ) and ARRi. his # is 661 821 6725.

GWPB

Edited by GWPB

• Premium Member

IIRC, you can pop the tach out of a 2C fairly easily. Check with Arri about buying the part and doing it yourself.

First, inch the mirror shutter out of the bulge on the gear cover. Pull the inching knob and loosen all the gear cover screws a couple turns. You want them to keep the cover from moving very far when you break it loose. Then give the bulge a firm smack to pop it loose from the body casting. When it's loose and hanging on the screws, take the screws out and gently lift it off in a direction parallel to the shutter plane so you don't chip the shutter. The corners of it will still extend a little into the bulge. With the gear chamber open, you'll see the screw or screws that hold the tach in place. If you have a crystal motor, you can tape over the tach hole and keep running while you wait for the part.

The procedure for popping the gear cover off the 2C is something you need to know in case you ever have a film chip fall down in the works and jam things.

-- J.S.