cooke ser2 ser3 with pro35

Do you know if there is a problem to use cooke speed panchro ser 2/3 with pro35 adapter p+s technik.

I have a set of this lenses, rehoused, with pl mount. When I try to use them on the pro35, I see shade around the center of the frame. are you familiar with that?

• Premium Member
Do you know if there is a problem to use cooke speed panchro ser 2/3 with pro35 adapter p+s technik.

I have a set of this lenses, rehoused, with pl mount. When I try to use them on the pro35, I see shade around the center of the frame. are you familiar with that?

Hi,

The wider ones porthole so are not suitable with an P+S adapter. It's why a very nice set that had been converted (and sold) by Panavision ended up on Ebay about 6 years ago.

Zeiss Standard lenses have the same issue. It's why Super Speeds got so expensive a few years ago.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Zeiss Standard lenses have the same issue.

Please forgive me for possibly asking a repeat question but, just to make sure, are you referring to the most recent Zeiss standards (T2.1, *T* coated), or the older (T2.2) ones? I've seen the T2.1 *T* standards in standard, bayonet, and PL mount. Do they all have similar coverage, as well as the similar port-hole characteristics? I believe the latest version was the Mark 2. Does that series have the same limitations? Do these limitations basically limit the use of these lenses where super 35 is concerned?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Please forgive me for possibly asking a repeat question but, just to make sure, are you referring to the most recent Zeiss standards (T2.1, *T* coated), or the older (T2.2) ones? I've seen the T2.1 *T* standards in standard, bayonet, and PL mount. Do they all have similar coverage, as well as the similar port-hole characteristics? I believe the latest version was the Mark 2. Does that series have the same limitations? Do these limitations basically limit the use of these lenses where super 35 is concerned?

Thanks.

Hi,

Shooting on film the T2.1 work fine for S35, however wide open they will porthole on Digital Cameras (RED & Phantom I have tested) This also shows up on P+S Adapters. The problem is the small exit pupil of the wider lenses, they are not telecentric. Stopped down to T4 on Red and the problem goes away.

FWIW The diagonal of S35 1: 1.185 is not that different to Academy 1:1.37 .

Stephen

Hi,

Shooting on film the T2.1 work fine for S35, however wide open they will porthole on Digital Cameras (RED & Phantom I have tested) This also shows up on P+S Adapters. The problem is the small exit pupil of the wider lenses, they are not telecentric. Stopped down to T4 on Red and the problem goes away.

FWIW The diagonal of S35 1: 1.185 is not that different to Academy 1:1.37 .

Stephen

Hi, can you explain more, why there is a problem with red and ps adapters? what do you mean "porthole"?

Ariel.

• Premium Member
Hi, can you explain more, why there is a problem with red and ps adapters? what do you mean "porthole"?

Ariel.

Hi,

You would not gain anything by ysing an adapter with Red, the sensor is already 35mm size.

Portholing os the darkening of the edges, with the outest edges darkest and the centre of the image brightest. Similar to vigenetting however when you stop down portholing goes away, with vigenetting it gets worse.

My Nikon D70 with its supplied zoom lens has this problem, so not only older lenses are effected.

Stephen