Here in a few days I will be flying to Los Angeles and having lunch with one of the current editors of the TV series "Monk". I'm fairly intimidated and there are about a thousand things flying through my head. I'm not really sure where to begin or what exactly to ask. I'm not looking for any specific conversational paradigm, but rather some things other industry amateurs would like to ask someone who has been around a while and knows the business well.

when I was 12 I was given the opportunity to speak with the legendary Haskell Wexler at a film forum... but I was 12 and really didn't know poop about cinematography outside of my canon camcorder... there are so many things I wish I had asked that day... might have made my goal to become a cinematographer an easier decision to make...

Here in a few days I will be flying to Los Angeles and having lunch with one of the current editors of the TV series "Monk". I'm fairly intimidated and there are about a thousand things flying through my head. I'm not really sure where to begin or what exactly to ask. I'm not looking for any specific conversational paradigm, but rather some things other industry amateurs would like to ask someone who has been around a while and knows the business well.

Adam,

If your going to be here in the Los Angeles area in a few day from now I hope you can attend Cine Gear Expo 2008 at Universal Studios Back Lot. Its this Friday and Saturday June 20th and 21st!. See the below web site link. Also come by the ( S.O.C. Society of Camera Operators) booth and ask us questions also stop by the A.S.C. booth American Society of Cinematographers.... There are many panels during the day to hear Pro speak see the schedule when you arrive.

http://cinegearexpo.com

All the best!

Mark August S.O.C

Hollywood Ca.

• Premium Member

Are you yourself interested in being an editor?

• Premium Member
Frank, I personally am not. However, my father is friends with the editor I was talking about and he felt it would be worthwhile for me to have lunch with him.

If he's buying I'd order the Lobster Bisque.