Low-end fluid head tripod

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a 16mm russian kinor camera which im told is around the 4 (maybe 5) kilo mark. I'm looking to get a tripod which i don't have to spend a *lot* of money on (less than USD 350 would be nice) but i guess if i get a good tripod it could last me a while.

I want to be able to do smooth pans and tilts, and if possible have an adjustable ball (so i can adjust camera tilt without adjusting leg lengths) but it isn't vital i guess.

My question is, can anyone recommend any particular brands and model numbers that i should look out for on ebay that is going to be a solid tripod without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that - are there any particular models that would be in (2nd hand) my price range while being suitable for my purposes?

I see a lot of bogen tripods on ebay that talk about being for video cameras... i'm thinking i need something a bit more solid since i don't want my 16mm camera falling over.

CHeck out the various models at bhphotovideo.com. They list all the weight capabilities of the various models. Get something that can handle at least 1/3rd more than the actual weight of the camera, which will allow you far greater control, especially when you have extreme tilts or are working at very long lens lengths.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "video" tripods, and in fact some video cameras weigh a good deal more than your film camera. But you want as large a head as you can afford that has good fluid drag adjustment and tension, plus sticks that are adjustable in height and ball levelling between them.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I got a Vinten Vision 3 for my video setup, which is probably heavier fully loaded than a small 16mm camera. It has ball levelling, adjustable drag, and a spring balancing system which can be changed out for different camera weights (the superior Vision 10 is internally adjustable without needing spare parts). I consider it to be just about adequate, but then I'd had years of small, bad amateurish tripods and had developed a complex about lumpy pans! It wasn't that cheap - about twice the amount you're talking about - but really, this is not something to skimp on. You can get away with a cheap old camera because you're updating the imager with every roll of film you buy. You may even be able to get away with certain older, cheaper lenses. However what you can't possibly get away with is not pointing it in the right direction in a consistent manner, which is where a decent set of sticks comes in handy!

Interestingly, if I upgrade to something like a DSR-570, the tripod and the battery system are more or less the only things I won't have to change. Might not quite be meaty enough for a dockable setup like a DXC-135, though.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Phil, I can appreciate that money for a good tripod is well spent and that it is a vital component in film production, but I must say i feel a little paranoid about over-investing in my film equipment.

I am basically looking for something that will give relatively smooth pans, an adjustable bowl, long adjustable legs, and be solid enough to hold a loaded camera. I'd be using it as normal on flat ground, and a little on some makeshift dollies.

I guess i was looking for particular models that might be fairly common (and thus inexpensive second hand) yet known to be solid and reliable.

Thanks though guys, i'll check some of the ebay items against that catalogue.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> but I must say i feel a little paranoid about over-investing in my film equipment.

Let me get this straight - it's impossible to pick up a film camera and shoot with it for less per day than you're after spending on a tripod, and you're going to risk quite literally the foundation of the entire operation on a cheap-out? That'd make me more paranoid!

Phil

I'd say check out the Bogen-Manfrotto website because it tells you how much weight each type of head and sticks can hold, and then compare those types of heads/sticks with any ads you find, whether it be on ebay or elsewhere. This is what I did when I got my Bogen tripod on ebay and it was a big pain in the ass matching up the right serial numbers and making sure I was looking at the right thing, but it was worth it in the end because I got a pretty nice tripod for just under 100. (wasn't looking for anything hugely expensive since I can also borrow tripods from my job pretty easily) Good luck!

-Annie