front projection with HD

Hello there

Has anybody out there done recently front projection effects either with red or any HD?

Is it possible to do FP with digital projectors and beam splitter mirror? I don't see why not, but...?

Does anybody know any studio with set up for FP and crew who know how to do it properly.

I'm shooting feature film with car scenes (there is a lot of it and budget tight) and I need background plates, so besides green screen work I was looking into old methods like rear projection and front projection with HD technology. However rear projection always looked fake to me unless you going for that look and it has it's own disadvantages, where front projection is something that could look ok but it's complicated set up at least it was with 35mm and 35mm projector.

So, I was wondering if anybody has input about this matter besides green screen work?

Anybody that knows to make rare projection believable or anybody that knows the studio with front projection set up but for digital work flow. Thanks for your input.

Hello there

Has anybody out there done recently front projection effects either with red or any HD?

Is it possible to do FP with digital projectors and beam splitter mirror? I don't see why not, but...?

Does anybody know any studio with set up for FP and crew who know how to do it properly.

I'm shooting feature film with car scenes (there is a lot of it and budget tight) and I need background plates, so besides green screen work I was looking into old methods like rear projection and front projection with HD technology. However rear projection always looked fake to me unless you going for that look and it has it's own disadvantages, where front projection is something that could look ok but it's complicated set up at least it was with 35mm and 35mm projector.

So, I was wondering if anybody has input about this matter besides green screen work?

Anybody that knows to make rare projection believable or anybody that knows the studio with front projection set up but for digital work flow. Thanks for your input.

sorry to bud in here I'm not really any help, but why would front projection look any different then rear projection? in both cases there is a screen with a background plate on it

Well front projection is a more advanced technique and can look a bit better, depending on how you do it. Look at the opening sequence in 2001, for instance, for some truly excellent front projection that's hardly identifiable as a visual effect.

But yeah, I'm a bit confused either way, because I'm not sure exactly what you're going for, and why you want to use projection. One advantage, I suppose, is that you see exactly what you will get as you shoot it, and that once it's shot then you don't need to do any more work on it. That aside, greenscreen is the way it's done these days almost all the time; you can even use it to obtain a "rear projection look" if you desire.

• 2 weeks later...
Well front projection is a more advanced technique and can look a bit better, depending on how you do it. Look at the opening sequence in 2001, for instance, for some truly excellent front projection that's hardly identifiable as a visual effect.

But yeah, I'm a bit confused either way, because I'm not sure exactly what you're going for, and why you want to use projection. One advantage, I suppose, is that you see exactly what you will get as you shoot it, and that once it's shot then you don't need to do any more work on it. That aside, greenscreen is the way it's done these days almost all the time; you can even use it to obtain a "rear projection look" if you desire.

Sorry that it took me some time to reply on your messages. I was out of town.

Well first of all, Why front projection? Huge amount of the scenes in the feature film I'm shooting

are car interiors driving thru the streets at night (60% of the movie). Now to mention that movie is low budget and that green screen work would be so costly to do. (unless some of you guys offer the good deal, with stage and post production). Since all scenes are at night I was thinking to do just simple front projection with some ok dlp projector (between 4000-8000 lumens)? So no mirror, and beam splitter thing, so no wide epic shots like in Kubrick's 2001. Just a front projection with moving background plates of the streets. The shots would be tight coverage, lit properly, shallow dof because it's all about the characters in the car and not the streets, but still I need something in the background that is moving, street stuff, etc...

Now, why not rear projection, well it could be rear projection but I think first you need more studio space for projector to go on the back, and some other things that rear projection could complicate the things. Instead I thought that just simple front projection would do the thing. Now, I hope this explains why and why not and if anybody else has any other suggestion then I'm all ears. And of course if somebody knows good rental places where I could rent some ok dlp projector, or good deals on greens screen work that would be great too. If still some things are not clear feel free to ask again and hopefully I will respond faster this time since i'm back in town. Thanks again for all your input.