New Reel

I posted a test version of my reel on Vimeo in the hopes of getting some feedback on it. Too long, too slow? Too short, too fast? Repetitive? So beautiful you tore out your eyes after watching? I have some thoughts, but I don't want to bias anyone.

Also, there are a few "mistakes" which I'm curious if anyone will notice.

Thanks for looking here: http://vimeo.com/1193602

Jon.

Yes, it's too compressed and it's interlaced.

Thanks. I think this one is a definite step forward.

Yes, that interlacing is pretty unsightly, and I wish I knew how to eliminate it. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I uploaded a de-interlaced QT to vimeo; I have no idea what they do to it.) I think it would be pretty simple w/in the bounds of doing one project, but how do I do it on a reel comprised of 5 or 6 different types of source media? The source clips in my reel are dvcpro hd 1280x1080 29.97fps, dvcpro HD 1280x720 60i, dvcpro 50, apple animation, dv, avid meridian uncompressed, and a VOB. Some are upper-field dominant, some lower-field dominant. Frankly, it's a mess. We worked something out for the DVD, but it's an internet world. The vimeo version will go away once I get a decent QT on my own site.

I got a consistent feel for your work throughout the reel, firstly because I didn't notice the change between formats (16mm, hdv, dv) at all, it all flowed and paced very nicely with the music. There is a subtle mood in the look/lighting of all the different scenes you have/communicated a signature. I think it's a pretty tight reel, but what do I know? too long, too short? I'm not sure, but it kept my attention and highlighted some nice moments.awesome job

• Premium Member

I dig it.

Funny I pulled on a few of those shots, haha. Really made me chuckle to see them.

It's good timing; good pacing. I liked the lighting for the most part. I feel like here may have been one or two things I'd recommend removing, but I viewed this a bit ago and am falling asleep... But I'll bring it up again and check it out.

Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

I like your lighting and from what I saw you represent an understanding of what is depicting with your camera moves.

My only negative point is that it was a shame that the couple with arrows had some white clipping in the background and the guy getting up in his bedroom also clipped out.

Although burning out is an option in our pallete of storytelling, I think that digital does not do any of us justice when trying to implement that style.