The Demise of Ektachrome

Sam Goetz

Apparently, Ektachrome is getting discontinued at the end of 2004? Can someone tell me why this is happening, and if so, will there be any replacement stocks like the new b&w reversal? Also, is Kodachrome sticking around? Is ektachrome 100D 7289/5289 staying? They just made it available in 16mm, would they really discontinue it immediately? I thought it was safer for the environment anyway? What's going on and why?

• Premium Member

The old 1970's era VNF Ektachrome is being discontinued, but modern E6 Ektachrome is not. For now, that pretty much just leaves 72/5385, Ektachrome 100D, for motion picture use. Kodachrome is still available, I believe. Don't know about the Super-8 market in terms of Ektachrome.

Edited by David Mullen

• Premium Member
Apparently, Ektachrome is getting discontinued at the end of 2004?  Can someone tell me why this is happening, and if so, will there be any replacement stocks like the new b&w reversal?  Also, is Kodachrome sticking around?  Is ektachrome 100D 7289/5289 staying?  They just made it available in 16mm, would they really discontinue it immediately?  I thought it was safer for the environment anyway?  What's going on and why?

Here is the official notice, published last summer:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN040804_Q.pdf

Kodak is announcing plans to discontinue manufacturing all EASTMAN EKTACHROME Color Reversal Motion

Picture Films by year-end 2004.

This decision has not been taken lightly and is brought about by two fundamental reasons. Kodak?s proactive

environmental strategy calls for the elimination of several component parts in these products and falling sales

volume due to lack of demand. Unfortunately, this combination of factors prohibits our ability to enter into a

research and development program to re-engineer these products. You can imagine, we are very disappointed to

have to make this decision.

Remember, these are the films that use the VNF-1 process.