Red and Steadicam

Alex Worster

I might have a job coming up soon where production wants to shot with the Red on a Steadicam for the majority of the show. I've worked Steadicam jobs with film cameras were we used a Modulus to transmit wireless video from the tap to a monitor. How have people been getting video wirelessly from a Red to a monitor? And, is there anything out there that will transmit a cleaner signal than a modulus that I can use with a Red as the director and clients want the best picture possible? Any help/ opinions/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Alex Worster

I might have a job coming up soon where production wants to shot with the Red on a Steadicam for the majority of the show. I've worked Steadicam jobs with film cameras were we used a Modulus to transmit wireless video from the tap to a monitor. How have people been getting video wirelessly from a Red to a monitor? And, is there anything out there that will transmit a cleaner signal than a modulus that I can use with a Red as the director and clients want the best picture possible? Any help/ opinions/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't had a chance to do tests yet, but I've had my eye on some of the wireless HDMI equipment that's being sold into the home theater market these days. It's pretty cheap, and the quality should be a lot better than what you get with analog SD video transmitters. The issue I'd be a little concerned about is range. Some systems claim around 33 ft., which is a bit on the short side. Others claim 100+, but I wouldn't trust that without testing.

(And you probably know this, but just in case... keep in mind the Red has no analog or SD outputs. If you do end up using an analog SD transmitter, you'll have to use a downconverter to get a signal into it.)

Yeah that conversion issue just occurred to me. That converter will be a bummer for the Steadicam Op if that's what ends up happening but I guess it beats going to the gym right? Thanks for the tip on wireless HDMI, I haven't heard of it before so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for your advice Chris!

Anybody else had experience with the RED and Steadicam?

Edited by Alex Worster

Yeah that conversion issue just occurred to me. That converter will be a bummer for the Steadicam Op if that's what ends up happening but I guess it beats going to the gym right? Thanks for the tip on wireless HDMI, I haven't heard of it before so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for your advice Chris!

Anybody else had experience with the RED and Steadicam?

It's really the same system for every other HD camera. Use an AJA converter to take HD-SDI down to composite or component video. It's easy to rig up the converter and adds very little weight.

Matthew

• Premium Member
I haven't had a chance to do tests yet, but I've had my eye on some of the wireless HDMI equipment that's being sold into the home theater market these days. It's pretty cheap, and the quality should be a lot better than what you get with analog SD video transmitters. The issue I'd be a little concerned about is range. Some systems claim around 33 ft., which is a bit on the short side. Others claim 100+, but I wouldn't trust that without testing.

First of all, 33 or 100ft isn't enough. Second, how big are these things? I'm sure you'd have to modify connectors to make them work as well. Doesn't really sound like a good solution to me.

• Premium Member
That converter will be a bummer for the Steadicam Op if that's what ends up happening but I guess it beats going to the gym right?

Most downconverters weigh like 8 or 10 ounces, so the weight is not an issue. But make sure you have the correct power cable from the Red to the AJA.

Also Alex, I PM'd you regarding this. Feel free to re post it here if you want.

• 4 weeks later...

Your best bet at this time is the new WEVI box distributed by IDX. Uncompressed wireless HD with <1 frame delay. The cleanest signal you're able to send under $40,000. Note that it does not do any kind of down or cross conversion, so depending on how your monitor is setup, you still may need a downconverter to see your framing on the sled. If that's the case, you may be best off getting the AJA or Evertz box, using the modulus and then IF they can't stand the quality, offering to fly the cable. It SUCKS to fly a cable, but with a lightweight jumper from the cam to your vest, you can at least be a bit more flexible and feel the pressure less. Because it's only for monitoring and not recording, you can get away with some pretty thin cable and barrels, etc... Every so often you may find that the signal drops out, but that's dependent on how many barrels you have, how long the jumper is, etc...

HD is a weird world - all of a sudden DP's who've lived with B&W video taps are demanding 1080p video assist at all times, even on steadicam. The problem I have is when it needlessly complicates or compromises the shot - flying a cable during a particularly complex or nuanced move, just so they have the HD signal as opposed to the SD signal. By the final days of this past HD shoot, the DP became comfortable enough with the camera to let me fly the shot using the modulus, as long as he got his last-looks with the cable and waveform. You may try offering that?