Beaulieu doesn't focus to infinity

stephenbyron

Hello All,

I just purchased a fine Beaulieu 4008ZM2 off of ebay. All the mechanical functions of the camera seem to be working properly, although I haven't run film through it yet.

One thing I did noticed was, after adjusting the diopter to my eye, the Schnieder lens won't focus to infinity, with either ground glass in or out. With the ground glass out it's a little closer but most definitely NOT sharp.

Anybody experienced this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Well, hard-core issues could be that the transfocal element in the Schneider 11x6 (which i presume is the lens that came with it) is off, maybe due to a shock or knock it received; or that the viewfinder optics are off, too - maybe the owner tampered with it (many more people do nowadays, and not all seem to know what to do or rather how to reassemble everything correctly); furthermore, the lens could be in need of a collimation, i.e. it's not adjusted to be properly set for the C-Mount of this camera - that can occur if the lens didn't come originally with that body.

In all these cases, as long as you aren't optomechanically DIY tech-fit, it would need a service (which Beaulieus need regularly anyhow due to their mechanical complexity - but hey, their mechanics is what makes them so good in the first place - after coming off eBay - try Björn Anderson from Beaulieu Sweden or Wittner Cinetec from Beaulieu Germany).

The fact that the symptom is different with the ground glass swiveled in our out eliminates an issue there.

I am sorry to put this to you to find out more, but how exactly did you adjust the diopter setting of the viewfinder - as scribbled in the manual? And also: are you normally wearing glasses or not.