Looking through the Alan Gordon Mark 5 Director's Finder

Hello,

I was looking through one of these today, and was kind of surprised that it did not function like looking through a zoom lens, but instead the frame got smaller and further away as you increase the focal length. Also there was a lot of light reflecting on the inside of the finder.

Is this they way this, (and others) director's finders are supposed to function?

thanks!

Hello,

I was looking through one of these today, and was kind of surprised that it did not function like looking through a zoom lens, but instead the frame got smaller and further away as you increase the focal length. Also there was a lot of light reflecting on the inside of the finder.

Is this they way this, (and others) director's finders are supposed to function?

thanks!

Yep. Unless you by the type that actually mounts the camera lens on it. Sort of like a SLR without a film plane, just the ground glass.

• Premium Member

I don't like to use those, because it does not show you the characteristics of the lens, only the frame size. Director's viewfinder with a PL/PV mount are much better.