How to transfer files into Final Cut 5 with GZ-HD3

Lisa Malazzo

I am doing a documentary and a bought the JVC GZ-HD3 so i could have a better quality image without spending thousands of dollars. The problem is my FCP 5 does not recognize the files. Even when i convert the file to a DV format it still jumps in my canvas screen. Is there a way i can transfer the files without losing frames or should I try and get a new camera in my price range? If so what kind of camera will work with FCP 5? Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.[b/]

• Premium Member
I am doing a documentary and a bought the JVC GZ-HD3 so i could have a better quality image without spending thousands of dollars. The problem is my FCP 5 does not recognize the files. Even when i convert the file to a DV format it still jumps in my canvas screen. Is there a way i can transfer the files without losing frames or should I try and get a new camera in my price range? If so what kind of camera will work with FCP 5? Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.[b/]

I use FCP a lot but not JVC. Is that an HDV camera? Have you already shot a lot of your project or are you finding this out in your testing?

I'm pretty sure that FCP Studio should be able to handle just about anything and if you already have FCP I think that you're entitled to upgrade for

a much lower cost than buying FCP Studio outright. However, your present computer may not be able to support some of the new applications. I would

suggest checking it out at an Apple Store even just for the heck of it.

You also could talk to the people at the Apple stores who do the one to one program (one hour a week with you and one trained

person working on whatever questions you have; it's about $99.00 and a good deal.) I'm sure that you could find somebody who could answer

some questions without having to sign up, although it might still be a good idea.

The Creative Cow forum (I think www,creativecow.com) is an excellent place for FCP questions that stump other forums edit thread members.

If your camera is still new enough, maybe you can get some feedback and see which part, if any, of your production or post production path to adjust.