Name These Gels

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could identify the gels most likely used in these (horrible youtube) stills.

20080704-01.jpg

Orange Backlight. Probably not DOUBLE CTO. Chrome Orange?

20080704-04.jpg

Chrome Green look?

20080704-02.jpg

20080704-03.jpg

I know these were shot on 35mm probably 500T Fuiji or Kodak and color timed professionally but I'm sure the DP still picked the right colors. I've had some bad experience with Pink/Purple that look super theaterical and not like these stills.

Matt

• Premium Member

How are things going, Matt? Here are my best guesses, but who knows if my monitor looks anything like anyone else's:

Orange Backlight: Golden Amber (rosco), possibly doubled.

Chrome Green Look: I bet it's White Flame Green (lee, I think), a color I like a lot.

In the first Mandy Moore still: I bet the toplight is something like Deep Amber. The light from below looks purest under her chin and if that's the case, I bet it's some strength of rosco's calcolor cyan. I think all that green is just the cyan and yellow mixing but it's tough to tell from that still.

Second Mandy Moore Still: Those aren't common colors in my work so I'm not sure where to start with that one other than to consult the swatchbook, as if you couldn't do that yourself. Rosco's daylight blue or one of the calcolor blues look like likely candidates for the blue and the pink looks like a dense strength of calcolor pink like pink 60 or pink 90.

Hey,

Thanks, I think those sounded pretty close. I'm at the point where I might just buy a few full rolls of gels to keep around with me. Somehow when I put in orders for speciality gels (i.e. not CTO/CTB) I end up with weird variations.

Matt