trouble matching lighting for exterior

hello guys, i had a shoot for a short film the other day where i had a lot of trouble matching lighting from shot to shot.

It is a 10 minute short film where the 8 minutes of the film is a conversation between 2 people sitting on deck chairs by the side of a swimming pool.

So we do the wide shot first. When we shot this it was very overcast, and quite gloomy. Due to budget constraints we didn't have any big lights to fill up the shot. we only rented reflectors. The cloud cover looked like it will be consistent for quite a while. Once we finished with the wide shot it started to rain. So we had a break, and when we came back to shoot, the sun was so hard and hot. We didn't have a butterfly with us. But even if we did, the difference would have been quite alot from the wide shot to close ups.

After that for the rest of the day it was cloudy, raining, sunny. I felt that alot of my shots had differences in lighting.

I was shooting with the HVX202.

What would you guys have done in this case. Would be good to hear what options i have in this kind of situation.

What would you guys have done in this case. Would be good to hear what options i have in this kind of situation.

What can anyone do when the elements don't cooperate, personnel and equipment are insufficient and the budget is next to zero?

a- move indoors and reshoot

b- do it again when the weather cooperates

c- "fix it in post" :P

d- get a bigger budget and bigger crew next time

Edited by Saul Rodgar

ok, thanks for the reply. The reason i posted the question was because after the shoot i felt quite demoralized. I felt that there must have been something i could do to match it better. But thanks for you reply

ken

Hey Ken,

I understand how you feel and I'm sure many others do too. So don't beat yourself up about it.

I think the lesson learnt is that next time prior to shooting you can explain to the director the potential problems. If he/she trust you and listen to what you have to say, they will with no doubt try and do what they can to help you out.

Alternatively, if they can't, you have to try and convince them to do it in a "safer" location than the one they envisaged doing it in.

Edited by Serge Teulon