Intermittent Power Issues

Robert Goodrich

Hello,

I have been experiencing a problem with my XL-2 for the past month, and am wondering whether anyone else has had this issue as well.

It started as my camera not powering up. Initially I was frightened that I had blown my master fuse. But I don't use my camera as a deck, so I never connect it via firewire. And I hadn't removed the viewfinder or lens.

But then it started working again. Off and on.

Now it has turned into an intermittent problem. Sometimes it powers right up, sometimes I have to giggle the battery or AC adapter before it kicks in. As I mentioned, it occurs with both battery and AC, I have cleaned the contacts on the camera and batteries. And since it works sometimes I feel confident it isn't the fuse.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have always been able to get it going, but my heart races everytime I power up when I'm shooting something for a client.

Thank you for any recommendations.

It appears as if the issue has been resolved, and I will post my solution for anyone who experience similar trouble.

So much of my attention has been spent on the battery and power supply contacts, that I missed the two small pegs that reside at the top of the battery compartment. So inbetween the two contacts and slightly above is a spring mounted contact, of which the purpose eluded me. But apparently it is some sort of "registration pin" that informs the camera that a battery or power supply is attached. The reason I know this is that I discovered the pins were bent upward, and with the help of a small flathead screwdriver I was able to bend them back into position. Now everything functions perfectly.

Sorry if the solution seems obvious to the more mechanically inclined, but perhaps the information will be of some use in the future.

• 6 months later...