G&D 3cP

Serge Teulon

Not sure where this sits so hopefully its in the right place.

I downloaded a 24hour demo of Gamma&Density's 3cP software and was playing around with the images that they provide.

It seemed to me that it was just slightly more cinematography orientated kind of photoshop.

3cp comes in at an eye bulging $1,900 +!

Does anyone have any info to share on this software?

Guest tylerhawes

It's a specialized tool, for sure, but the comparison with Photoshop is only superficial.

The interface is simplified and put in cinematographer terms so that you don't have to be a graphics expert to use it. It is built for DPs, not colorists (by comparison, many of the on-set grading tools are really reduced feature set versions of DI applications, which can be an unwelcome learning curve and/or distraction for a DP on set).

3CP have done the legwork of creating a calibration system, including profiling the digital still camera and various film stocks and processes, and putting it all together in a way that doesn't require an expert with custom LUTs to make it work. It is just simple and works.

Unlike Photoshop, the corrections you make are saved as a standard Color Decision List, which can record your grading intentions for a shot and be imported into most DI tools so the dailies can be faithful to the look you've created, and so the DI colorist can start where you left off.

Last but not least, Yuri Neyman and his team at 3CP have supported many major pictures and are there to support you and your workflow to ensure you achieve the results intended.

Any one of those aspects justifies its price tag for a professional shoot that wants to have this worklow. It is really quite inexpensive compared to how things were just a couple years ago.

I've worked with 3CP before and would gladly recommend it to anyone.

I hear what your saying.....the thing I hate most about Photoshop is all the different avenues you need to go down to get what you.....Is it fair to say that you prefer 3cP over the Kodak LUT?

Edited by Serge Teulon