REFLECTIONS / MIRRORING

Efraim Smits

THIS is a general inquiry; Suppose I wanted to shoot reflections on a low key set and in POV turning right @30` a shiny vase/... REFLECTS a subject quite visibly and recognizable. How would I begin to do this? Is this mostly done in post or can i preferably get some experienced advice for on-set preparation, filters, ...?

I need about 10 'reflection' shots from different objects in the room. Even soap bubbles (maybe). Usually the hot topics are on eliminating light reflections; so here's something else.

I anticipate your replies.

Cheerio,

Efraim

You can wrap yourself and as much of the camera as possible with black velvet or duvatene and try to not shoot with too wide of a lens.

How about the subject(s)? What if the camera does a full 180' turn around AFTER the reflection, can I loose the subject somehow?

AS IN - psychedelic/hallucination BUT only though reflections/mirroring.

Cheers again, thx for post!

• Premium Member
How about the subject(s)? What if the camera does a full 180' turn around AFTER the reflection, can I loose the subject somehow?

AS IN - psychedelic/hallucination BUT only though reflections/mirroring.

Cheers again, thx for post!

Sometimes I rotate a polarizer to make a reflection seem to appear and disappear. Also, pulling focus can do that at times as well.

In both cases you have to be careful not to bump the camera while making those moves.

If you're going to be moving your camera during the shot, these methods may not work as well as if you're locked off and with the polarizer at

the most optimal angle.