DOP shooting 1980's thriller

jamie l fowlds

Hi I am in prep to shoot a super 35mm India Feature based around a suicide bombing event in kashmir northern India, The event and build up are set in 1989. kashmir has a very sombre feeling about it these days its ripped and burnt, and barely holding onto its almost magical beauty of the pre troubles.

the people of kashmir are now almost part of the land, colours of sand and sackcloth camel, browns, dirty faded blood reds, muted greens occasionally bursting into bright greens with clear skies, the fall there is very north american in feel, the atmos there is like a clouded misty almost pipe smoke aura.. with old dried blood reds. any suggestions

Season:

October to jan 2008/09

Autumn/Winter

Directors Ideas on Style ref:

Bourne Ultimatum

Rendition

(not convinced yet)

Doco reala style

steadicam/HH mix

mostly ground based shooting little air work

camera: 4p super 35

Arricam LT

Arri 435

Arri 235

Glass:

Cooke S4, Ang optimo 12x and 5X

Cooke cinetal zoom's

Stock:

Fuji Reala, Kodak V3 5219

4k DI

Edited by jamie l fowlds

Hi Jamie,

What is your question?

sorry to have put up such a vague thread, Looking for suggestions on approach to an unknown subject and substance, great script just opening up to fellow lensmen to bring in some ideas.

Ok?

.....Looking for suggestions on approach to an unknown subject and substance, great script just opening up to fellow lensmen to bring in some ideas.

If I was to work in your project I would firstly begin trying to understand the directors vision and then research photographic and film material that relates to that part of the world.

Photographically you could start with National Geographic....they should have a tremendous library of photographs of the east spanning back many years.

You can also refer to flickr.com website.....

I saw the Kite Runner recently and thought that although Afghanistan was in fact shot in Marocco it nevertheless replicated it very well. I've never been to Afghanistan but no one can say that we don't see enough of it.....

Also Ghandi would be a port of call.....

If you haven't already, try and make sure that your crew can speak or at least understand English. That is of course if you are not proficient in the native language. Myself, I would attempt to persuade the producers to allow me to take a 1st and gaffer of my choice.

I hope that is what you were looking for.....if not please just say and I'll try and help further.

S

Edited by Serge Teulon

sorry to have put up such a vague thread, Looking for suggestions on approach to an unknown subject and substance, great script just opening up to fellow lensmen to bring in some ideas.

Ok?

There have been a lot of good Indian films made on the topic of Kashmir like "Roja" and "Yahaan" amongst the more recent ones. There are lots of films shot before the 80's which is when the situation actually started to detoriate.

I would also suggest reading "Freedom at Midnight" to get a historical perspective.

I could send you a list of films for ref if you think that would help. Best of luck with the project.

• 4 weeks later...
There have been a lot of good Indian films made on the topic of Kashmir like "Roja" and "Yahaan" amongst the more recent ones. There are lots of films shot before the 80's which is when the situation actually started to detoriate.

I would also suggest reading "Freedom at Midnight" to get a historical perspective.

I could send you a list of films for ref if you think that would help. Best of luck with the project.

Thanks very much.

yes shot some tests on Reala and Eterna also Kodak 5219 v3 and 5205 250d v2 Kodak is what this script seems to lean to, The film now is 20% 1989 and the rest 1997. were can I get Freedom at Midnight? we are shooting October to December in Srinigar jan in Ukraine.

• 5 months later...
Thanks very much.

yes shot some tests on Reala and Eterna also Kodak 5219 v3 and 5205 250d v2 Kodak is what this script seems to lean to, The film now is 20% 1989 and the rest 1997. were can I get Freedom at Midnight? we are shooting October to December in Srinigar jan in Ukraine.

We have wrapped the Movie 'Lamhaa' all was a huge challenge, we had to match: kashmir fall, with Manali winter, with Mumbai summer.. then back to kashmir mid winter. 65 day shoot 3 days off.

I shot the Movie on Fuji 250T eterna, 500T eterna, 160T vivid

cameras Arricam LT, 435 extreme, 235

Arri/Zeiss Ultra prime primes

Ang optimo 12-1 & 5-1

3 perf super 35mm

the edit is half way through

we start our 2 k Di in march will keep you posted

A match up nightmare!!!!

Cheers

jamie

post-34885-1235632057.jpg