in-camera filters for Bolex EL

Matej Pok

Hi guys,

I´ve recently bought Bolex EL and I want to use in-camera filters via filter genuine filter holder, but I´ve discovered, I can´t find them on ebay. Maybe I´m just stupid :rolleyes:

In manual stayes something like "gelatine round filter from 38mm to 40mm in diamater"

What kind of gelatine filter do you use? Is it the same as for PAR lights (theatre one)? Can I buy good glass? ´cause it´ll change focus distance and also negative influences sharpness....

I hope you´ll help me ;)

Thanks.

Theatre - no ... they aren't optically nice enough - although 'good enough for rock and roll' you might say.

Glass wont fit in ...

You need Wratten Gel filters which you cut to fit into the filter holder - as they are round they end up using a lot more filter for the useful area - quite wasteful - Bad Bolex EL !

Do you actually have a filter holder ? If you dont you'll need to ascertain if you need the slip in type (I think for Mk 2 and 3 EL's) or the course thread type (most, if not all Mk 1's) - the slip in ones are easy to find on eBay, usually in sets of four or so - the screw in ones seem rarer and usually come with the camera as a part of the kit... I'm not sure but I think the screw in type will fit into the later models, but the drop in type will not retro fit into the Mk1's (annoying).