Arriflex 35 II CGS/B?

Jon Hyde

Hi everyone!

I'm working with an old Arri 35 2C which has some strange (confounding) hardware on it.

It is serial number C7658.

I'm thinking it is one of the older/rare Arriflex 35 II CGS/B models with the built-in Pilotone output and start marking system (obsolete system for sync sound).

If this is the case, what if any special considerations need to be taken to properly use this camera.

I want to restore it since I was given the opportunity to own it for next to nothing.

Visit here for a photo of the plugs I am talking about.

Thanks!

Jon

I spoke with Mr. Axel Broda yesterday and he shed some light on the front stainless knob.

It is used to adjust the pitch/degree angle of the rotating mirror.

I've made arrangements to get the camera to him for a overhaul, retrofit. I'm going to have the PL mount installed as well. I am really anxious to start filming with this camera, but it looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.

It'll be worth the wait!

Do you have plans for your old Arri mount lenses? I could use some as hole fillers for my antique Arri model I cameras.

-- J.S.

As of now I don't have any 35mm lenses for this camera. I am missing a front cover so I have a Cooke 150mm lens sitting there, but it is for my Arri 16S. I placed it there because this lens doesn't protrude back beyond the standard Arri mount. The 16s lenses sit too deep to be used with the IIC lest the mirror whack them when it rotates... not to mention issues with FFL.

I'm moving to the PL mount because there is a horrible lack of available standard Arri lenses out there. It's frustrating. So I feel I have to move to the PL mount to have the variety I want for my film projects.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I watch Ebay a lot. That might be the best place to look.

• Premium Member
Hi everyone!

I'm working with an old Arri 35 2C which has some strange (confounding) hardware on it.

It is serial number C7658.

I'm thinking it is one of the older/rare Arriflex 35 II CGS/B models with the built-in Pilotone output and start marking system (obsolete system for sync sound).

My fifth edition ASC manual (1980) lists a 35-2CGS/B as having pilotone output and start marking system. The /B denotes it has a bayonet port and two Arri Standard lens ports. Your camera isn't oddball, just one of the six variations on the basic 2C/B that were available in the day.

My fifth edition ASC manual (1980) lists a 35-2CGS/B as having pilotone output and start marking system. The /B denotes it has a bayonet port and two Arri Standard lens ports. Your camera isn't oddball, just one of the six variations on the basic 2C/B that were available in the day.

Mr. Smith,

Thank you for the reply. I'm really excited to be able to shoot with this camera, given its proven performance track record.

I'm not really sure what to do, if anything, with this old pilotone option. I plan on shooting visual story/MOS projects with it. I feel as a budding film maker I really want to master (if such a thing exists) being able to tell compelling stories without dialog before moving onto stories which require dialog to carry them.

So once my Arri is back from Mr. Broda I plan on using it extensively. I've checked with Fotokem and several Telecine locations and it looks like the cost of development is twice the cost of 16mm (actually the same per foot but obviously I get 1/2 the amount of film time per equivalent footage with 35) and telecine is by the hour.

Now just getting used to digesting the cost of the raw stock...

Thanks again for the reply,

Jon

• 1 month later...

I removed the pilotone from my IIC; it looked like it had been damaged at some point in it's life and was causing drag.

Arri did make a cover for the hole if you wanted to remove yours, I'm sure Mr. Broda would have one if anyone does. But if it works then why bother - who knows... maybe someone has an old nagra sitting in their closet (good luck finding the cable).

Nice flat mount adapter by the way, looks like you found a good set-up.

I removed the pilotone from my IIC; it looked like it had been damaged at some point in it's life and was causing drag.

Nice flat mount adapter by the way, looks like you found a good set-up.

Derick,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am anxiously awaiting Mr. Broda's return from Germany. When we last spoke he stated it would be sometime in October before he'd be able to look at my camera.

Besides the ground-up check-out/repair he's putting a PL mount for me.

I just need to find a Jurgen's rotating door and I can resist the desire to purchase a 35 III.

Anyway. I'm stoked about the camera. It's in really good shape considering the age.

Thanks again,

Jon