Fuji reala 500D backing removal problem

Hi all....

I am a Sri Lankan director who mainly directs TV commercials. When I was shooting a TVC recently I used Fuji Reala 500D stock. When I Processed the stock in Prasad Lab in Chennai india they informed me that the emulsion is not fully get cleaned in the bath even after ultra sonic cleaning. Pls tell me what can I do to get out of this problem.

Regards

Dilon

Hi all....

I am a Sri Lankan director who mainly directs TV commercials. When I was shooting a TVC recently I used Fuji Reala 500D stock. When I Processed the stock in Prasad Lab in Chennai india they informed me that the emulsion is not fully get cleaned in the bath even after ultra sonic cleaning. Pls tell me what can I do to get out of this problem.

Regards

Dilon

Have them rewash the film, skipping the bleach.

This sounds like the rem jet backing wasn't removed properly. What lab did this? was it a C-41 still lab, or an ECN motion picture lab?

Fuji has a tricky remjet-- if the lab did this ECN, then it's their responsibility to make sure the backing is removed, that's step-1 of the processing step for ECN. Fuji's backing is harder than Kodak's to get rid of.

Whatever, try soaking the film in warm water with a little borax, then rub it off with a soft cloth. It will take time and make a mess.

If the problem is non-removal of the backing then you should be able to remove any backing residue on the base side by hand cleaning with Perklone. If there is backing on the emulsion side and perklone does not remove it, then you can try removing the backing with silver polish (polish used for cleaning silverware) followed by a re-wash to get rid of the marks made by the silver polish. It is not easy to do and you have to be very careful. I did this for a 200ft roll of 35mm negative a couple of weeks ago.

I would not recommend trying to soak the film in warm water and borax and then rubbing it with a cloth. You would undoubtedly damage the film and it would be almost impossible to dry the film without water marks.

If you are lucky then putting the film back through the process as Dirk suggests should remove the backing; if not then try the above although you need access to a rewash process.

Brian