KinoFlo: Foto-Flo 400 vs 4ft 4bank Select

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 4ft 4 bank Select for film/video work, but notice that at a local retailer the 4ft 4 bank dubbed Foto-Flo 400 is about $200 less exensive. Does anyone know what the differences are? Does the Foto-Flo unit skimp on any features?

Thanks,

JC

Judging from a photo of the ballast from each, I notice that the Select has 4 switches (one for each bulb), whereas the Foto-Flo 400 only two. Maybe this is the only difference. Does anyone know if there are any other differences? Regardless, I think the additional switches are worth the $200 price difference.

Thanks,

JC

I read today that the Foto-Flo version of the Kinos allows you to detach the fixtures individually from the housing. I'm guessing that the Select version of the Kino's don't allow that.

I went to the Coollights website and a quick glance shows that the majority of the products are out of stock. What's up with that? Any comparisons would be nice.

I would stick to the Select Kinos. Kino make great, solid, and pretty hardy gear in comparison to many of the non-kino brands.

Every experience ive had with non-kinos is they end up being more expensive to own in the long run than the real deal. Perhaps if your not going to use it that often then the rip-offs might be ok. But if its going to be something you pull out on most shoots Id stick to the kino.

Disclaimer: Im not employed by or affiliated with KinoFlo, just a fan.

I own some Cool Lights fixtures.

Advantages: Cost

Disadvantages: Build quality isn't as good as Kino, ballasts are part of light (could be advantage is some situations).

They still output the same quality light, and for somebody on a budget, the Cool Lights fixtures are great.

Guest Evan Pierre
I read today that the Foto-Flo version of the Kinos allows you to detach the fixtures individually from the housing. I'm guessing that the Select version of the Kino's don't allow that.

I went to the Coollights website and a quick glance shows that the majority of the products are out of stock. What's up with that? Any comparisons would be nice.

No, both the Foto-Flo and the 4Bank Select allow you to remove the lamp harnesses from the housing if you want to.

Comparing then on the Kinoflo site the only major differences that I can see is the individual lamp control of the 4Bank Select vs the 2/4 lamp control of the Foto-Flo. The ballasts look different but besides that they appear to use the same housing, reflector, louver, lamp harness, etc.

4Bank Select

Foto-Flo

Judging from a photo of the ballast from each, I notice that the Select has 4 switches (one for each bulb), whereas the Foto-Flo 400 only two. Maybe this is the only difference. Does anyone know if there are any other differences? Regardless, I think the additional switches are worth the $200 price difference.

Thanks,

JC

Joel:

Regarding the 4ft 4Bank System and a Foto-Flo 400 System . . . the Foto-Flo has a smaller ballast than the 4Bank Select Ballast, and the Foto-Flo Ballast can attach to the Fixture Shell or be removed for remote operation. The 4Bank Select Ballast is designed for remote operation only. The Select Ballast operates four (4) lamps all together, or individually ON/OFF and HO/Standard Output. The Select Ballast also can operate lamps size 15", 2ft and 4ft in or out of the fixture housing, up to 75 feet away. The Foto-Flo Ballast can operate 4ft lamps, but only four or two at a time. There is no HO/Standard Output switch.

The basic difference is that the Foto-Flo, as its name implies, is more for the photo/video market because it offers the same lighting characteristics when opearating all four lamps as the 4ft 4Bank System. However, it does not have all the bells and whistles that make the 4Bank Select one of the most versatile soft lights on the market.

Note: Both the Foto-Flos and the 4Bank Select Systems come with two year warranties on the electronics, and both fixtures take Kino Flo True Match daylight and tungsten balanced lamps.

Scott Stueckle

Kino Flo, Inc.

Edited by scott stueckle