On Camera LCD Monitor

Don Sommers

I need best advice on an On Camera LCD system.

1. Has to be able to support HD / SD

2. Has to be 5 + inches

3. To fit on a Canon XL2

4. Preferably more advanced

5. Budget is around $1000

I'm TIRED of trying to look at the "small" XL2 video screen when shooting interview based footage. It can also be deceiving for brightness depending on viewing angle.

Any experience, recommendations, hints, what "you're using" and why, ... would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

At that budget the only real option are the products from IKAN. We have some for sale at Abel.

Will the IKAN V8000HD do the trick with all HD resolutions? Do you recommend this one? Is a popular item at the store?

If I had a bigger budget ... what recommendations could you provide based on what others are using?

It will work with SD, 720 or 1080. It works okay but it is the low cost option. The next step up would be a Marshall or a Nebtek monitor, which are far more popular than the IKANs. But they are also about twice the cost. I personally really like the new Nebteks, but it might be too rich for your blood. If you like you can contact me off list and I'll put you in touch with one of our Sales Reps.

It will work with SD, 720 or 1080. It works okay but it is the low cost option. The next step up would be a Marshall or a Nebtek monitor, which are far more popular than the IKANs. But they are also about twice the cost. I personally really like the new Nebteks, but it might be too rich for your blood. If you like you can contact me off list and I'll put you in touch with one of our Sales Reps.

Sorry for the delay. Out shooting interviews.

I am lobbying for additional funds for the higher end LCD panel. No word back as of yet though. We had some issue with hotspots on the last interview (done by someone else in the group). May have been bad tape though. One more reason to get a bigger panel to be able to judge better.

Is no one else on this entire forum using LCD panels? Hard to believe there are no other reports or examples ...

(no offense to you Mitch, I appreciate your input)