Sound problems with Sony HVR Z7

daniel mahlknecht

Hi,

we are actually shooting a documentary in Kenya with a Sony HVR-Z7E.

We are shooting in HDV 1080 25p PAL.

The problem is, that while recording, the Audio Channels sometimes disactivate themselves, this is a big problem, as it happened sometimes also during interviews. Has anybody experienced this problem already?

It seems to be a commom problem with the Z7, at least I have heard about it also from others.

thanks

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

we are actually shooting a documentary in Kenya with a Sony HVR-Z7E.

We are shooting in HDV 1080 25p PAL.

The problem is, that while recording, the Audio Channels sometimes disactivate themselves, this is a big problem, as it happened sometimes also during interviews. Has anybody experienced this problem already?

It seems to be a commom problem with the Z7, at least I have heard about it also from others.

thanks

Daniel

Are you running in "auto audio" or manual?

• 2 weeks later...
Are you running in "auto audio" or manual?

Hi,

we used Ch2 for the camera mic in auto mode and Ch1 for the soundmixer in manual mode.

The problem was on both channels. The problem is, that it is difficult to test why this happens, because it can also be that for 3-4 tapes everything is fine.

We shot in 1080i 25p.

thanks

Daniel

• 2 months later...

Finally I got to shoot myself with the Z7, and can now describe the problem better.

If I record my audio to CH1, there is never a problem.

Recording to CH2 it happens quiet freequently, that it turns itself off while CH1 keeps working. Then you have to switch the selection switch between ch1 and ch1-ch2 to ch1 and then back again and everything works again until the next ch2 blackout. It seems that although the switch is a mecanical one it resetts itself. We solved the problem for now by putting the main mic always on CH1 and the second mic on CH2.

A Friend of mine had the same problem with his Z7.

If I'm making the mistake, would be fine, but I fear that there is something wrong with the camera...

thanks

Daniel