Lighting for my Holograms--with an Illustration

Ira Ratner

I think I figured out how to have a semi-circle backdrop of black curtain, to shoot on a semi-circle track, for my holograms.

The problem is the lighting, which can't be visible within the 180-degree circle of death.

SO....

I figure that I'll use two self-powered lamps clamped to the tripod. I think I have to stay away from power cords because they're going to screw up easy tracking.

If my photo attachment actually works here, I'll post again and take it to the next level.

post-34460-1220057114.jpg

I can't believe that my attachment actually worked. I'm so PROUD!!!

Anyway, the red box you see behind that frigid chick (I know she's frigid because I tried and she said no) is the maximum area I'll be shooting for these holograms. My maximum distance from camera to subject will be about 6 to 8 feet, shooting on Ektachrome.

The reason I need lights mounted on the tripod is because there's no way to track from left to right without SEEING any standing lights. The question is, what's the best, cheapest, most effective, and cheapest again, product(s) out there that I can jerry-rig to the tripod, jerry-rig with diffusion to make it softer, with enough watts to get the job done?

Keeping in mind that I'll shoot with a filter if need be.

For example, can I rig something myself with daylight balanced flos to cover this minimum area? It's ONLY the subject that has to be recorded.

Or should I consider something like this and work around the color balance issues

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=019

Two words: Overhead lighting, that is what works best here. You will need something to attach the lights to the ceiling and will have to dress the cables, but that produces the best results, impo.

Avoid the on board lights, unless you want the light (shadows) to change as you are moving the dolly. That gets distracting and cheapens the results out. Used in conjunction with overhead lighting and with enough diffusion it could work though.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Maybe I'm over-thinking this--but this is for a hologram made from 180 frames, with which I want the same lighting on all 180 frames, and 100% black background.

I just thought that using softened spots attached to the tripod would film at the exact same lighting for the full 180-degree track, the most consistent way to go.

That's the plan. The subject's head turns to always face the camera.

That's why I was even looking at this cheap but powerful solution (maybe using two of them but maybe not necessary), with proper diffusion and filtering, to mount on arm(s) connected to the tripod.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...-46965-VEC157CF

I was gonna flop the grab handle on top down and modify it to accept diffusion/softening material. Otherwise, the areas with the bolt heads there will accept a a homemade apparatus to slide squares of diffusion material into. I would like to lose the pistol grip, but I don't know if this is possible because it looks like that's where the power switch is. However, I may be able to cut the grip down and install a 1/4" screw for mounting on an arm.

I want cheap, functional, and easy for this.

And no shipping charges.

Edited by Ira Ratner

My grandparents on both sides came from Eastern Europe, and although I've been known to piss away money like it's going out of style, I still have that cheapness in my genes.

As an example, I was like 18 when I first discovered that there are actually people in this world who use a tea bag just once and then throw it away. I was used to seeing a tea bag having at least a 5-day lifespan, sitting in a little cup near the kitchen sink.

I grew so fond of particular bags that they felt like part of the family, and I started to name them.