Sony EX1/EX3 latitude

Peter Borrud

Does anyone know what the latitude is like on the EX1/EX3? Anyone know how many stops it has?

I've heard a ton of great things about it, but all of the footage I've seen looks pretty contrasty. It looks even contrastier than the HVX200 in my opinion. Anyone know the actuals details on it? I noticed they don't include any specs on its EI or the range it has. Makes me concerned, coz I'm really close to buying it, but I want to make sure its gonna be better than the HVX in most ways. Latitude is definately top of my list in terms of a cameras permformance.

Thanks.

Peter Borrud

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the latitude is like on the EX1/EX3? Anyone know how many stops it has?

I've heard a ton of great things about it, but all of the footage I've seen looks pretty contrasty. It looks even contrastier than the HVX200 in my opinion. Anyone know the actuals details on it? I noticed they don't include any specs on its EI or the range it has. Makes me concerned, coz I'm really close to buying it, but I want to make sure its gonna be better than the HVX in most ways. Latitude is definately top of my list in terms of a cameras permformance.

Thanks.

Peter Borrud

Hi Peter.

I own a EX1 and I have settings from Philip Bloom. ( http://philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_Bloom/Home.html )

This makes the camera like film, pritty soft picture.

So, I own the HVX, the JVC and a Z1, and the EX1 is far, far the best for me.

Look at the site of Philip, he the greatest with this camera!

regards, Johan

• Premium Member

From my use the EX blows the HVX out of the water, both then again the HVX is a first generation HD camera so wasn't much to begin with. The EX makes one of the best pictures, if not THE BEST of any camera in its size range. I strongly suggest it over any camera out there for purchase. As for EI, one of the reason you don't often see it is because it is an arbitrary number in the world of video. About the best a manufacture will tell you in the area in sensitivity is something like f10 at 2000 lux which tells you absolutely nothing about the quality of a picture. I have found using the camera recently for a TV series that it handles extremes extraordinarily. If you are looking to buy it, you will find it's the best thing made these days.