Konvas Anamorphic matte box, follow focus and blimp?

James Steven Beverly

Did the Russians ever make an anamorphic mattebox specifically for the Konvas 1 or 1M using square front 1 or 2 piece anamorphic lenses? How about the 2M that could possibly be adapted to a 1M? Also did the Russians ever make a blimp for the Konvas? Did OCT-18 mount lenses ever have a FF. I know Raf has focus gears in various sizes to replace the old "mouse ears" for these lenses, which I want to pick up down the road when I get some cash, but I don't know if they ever had a FF made specifically for them. These are questions I've had on my mind and wanted to know if anyone had the answer or the history. An anamorphic matte box seems to be a given as they made spherical bellows style matte boxes for the 1M and they made 2 piece anamorphic lenses around the same period (both of which I have) and later the 1 piece square front anamorphics. I woulda figured by the mid to late 80s, they would have had all the modern accessories for a Konvas as they did for a Kinor since they were so popular. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Did the Russians ever make an anamorphic mattebox specifically for the Konvas 1 or 1M using square front 1 or 2 piece anamorphic lenses?

Yes. Here is the picture of the simple matte box made for 2-pieces anamorphics: http://rafcamera.com/images/mca/ka-mb_side.jpg

Also, a matte box with folding bellows exists. It is much better, and is not specific for the square front anamorphics.

How about the 2M that could possibly be adapted to a 1M?

I think that it can be adapted quite easily.

Also did the Russians ever make a blimp for the Konvas?

Did OCT-18 mount lenses ever have a FF.

No.

I know Raf has focus gears in various sizes to replace the old "mouse ears" for these lenses, which I want to pick up down the road when I get some cash, but I don't know if they ever had a FF made specifically for them.

Neither 1M nor 2M ever had a factory made follow focus. We made our prototype 2 years ago, but at resulting cost of $750 it had not enough demand on the market to continue production.

Also, keep in mind that our gears are not for oct-18 lenses. We made them for oct-19 lens. Oct-18 focusing ring is quite close to the camera body, so installation of the geared ring onto them is impossible in most cases of usual primes.

I woulda figured by the mid to late 80s, they would have had all the modern accessories for a Konvas as they did for a Kinor since they were so popular. B)

Production of these cameras stopped after fall of USSR, so they probably had some plans, but had no ability to make those new things. Also, Russian studios don't shoot with Konvas anymore. Even Belarusfilm has Arri 535. I don't know when exactly Arri cameras became available to USSR studios, but this availability might be another reason why our manufacturers lost interest in renewing of Konvas/Kinor series.

Do you have a picture of your Follow focus? I for one would love to see what ti looked like and at some point in the future would you consider making up a few or at least one if any of us want one? The video camera that fit into the viewfinder hole was another cool thing you had for Knovas' any chance those will come back or could be made up on a per order bases? How about the Konvas base plates for 15mm rods?

But say using a friction belt system you mentioned on the website where you show your FF and possibly a modified version of your FF, would it be possible to make a FF for the 1M with OCT-18 mouse eyed lenses if the mouse ears were removed? There seem to be a LOT of 1m and KSR-1 s out there, many more than the 2M, so if you were able to fabricate a FF for them, it seems like it might be a good selling item.