strange (?) flicker in telecine'd footage

XiaoSu Han

• Premium Member
hi, last month we shot a short film on 35mm and had it HD telecine'd to HDCAM SR tapes at the shaw brothers studios

now i see a strange flicker in the footage, is that normal or should we go complain?

http://dedicated13.nessus.at/test.mov

thanks for any experience on that

Hi,

It's very compressed so it's difficult to say, out of interest what was the camera?

Stephen

hi stephen

yeah that was quite stupid, i thought it was enough, here's a proper clip:

http://dedicated13.nessus.at/testmore.mov

hope that anyone knows what this is about and how we could resolve it...

could it be that the transfer was made in 24 psf but should be 23.98 PsF ??

to answer your question, we used a moviecam compact with zeiss highspeed lenses on fuji eterna 250d for this scene...

• Premium Member

Hey Xiao,

I see what you are saying. It not only flickers slightly. It seems to have a slightly darker, horizontal bar that rolls through the middle of the image. I've never seen that before. The roll implies some kind of cyclic mismatch. But, whether that is in the scan or camera...

I'm not much help.

hi stephen

i also checked that because we brought film on the plane (but didnt let it pass through the xray machines), but it's also on the fresh rolls we bought there.

so im not sure what it could be, what kind of camera malfunction could this be?

i really dont think it was the lab because it's a veryy well reputated lab where johnny to gets his films developed sacnned and colored for example

so i am going to have a look at the tape probably and see if its on there as well, but i almost dont think so...

thanks paul for your ideas

i will have to call the lab again probably and ask if it's on the negative, although it shouldn't be as we saw dailies and the flashing wasnt there

i just can't believe that they are using a broken machine and then also giving it to us like this

the stupid thing is that neither we nor the directors are in hong kong anymore so that's quite unfortunate..

thanks paul for your ideas

i will have to call the lab again probably and ask if it's on the negative, although it shouldn't be as we saw dailies and the flashing wasnt there

i just can't believe that they are using a broken machine and then also giving it to us like this

the stupid thing is that neither we nor the directors are in hong kong anymore so that's quite unfortunate..

Yeah, I think it's not on the neg. It looks like electronic interference to me. Definitely video looking. Talk to the telecine folks.

Edited by Saul Rodgar